• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Municiple Citations (2) for Retail Theft (Each Item Under $10)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mememaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Wisconsin

On October 20th, 2014 I was given two city municipal court citations for Retail Theft (Both Under $10).

What kind of options do I have to get these dropped, or at the very least get them reduced. What are the possibilities of each, and would a lawyer be worth to hire regarding this?

My main overall concern is that they will show up on background checks for jobs. What is the probability that this will happen? So far as of November 3rd they haven't showed up on CCAPS (Wisconsin Circuit Court Access).

Should I plead not guilty, and go and try to talk to the District Attorney to see what they can offer? My court date is not until December 2nd so I still have a while yet.

Could I get both of these deferred? And how long would that take if I did do it?

HELP!!!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Wisconsin

On October 20th, 2014 I was given two city municipal court citations for Retail Theft (Both Under $10).

What kind of options do I have to get these dropped, or at the very least get them reduced. What are the possibilities of each, and would a lawyer be worth to hire regarding this?

My main overall concern is that they will show up on background checks for jobs. What is the probability that this will happen? So far as of November 3rd they haven't showed up on CCAPS (Wisconsin Circuit Court Access).

Should I plead not guilty, and go and try to talk to the District Attorney to see what they can offer? My court date is not until December 2nd so I still have a while yet.

Could I get both of these deferred? And how long would that take if I did do it?

HELP!!!
If you were so worried about them showing up, why did you steal twice? You may not be able to get this dropped. You might qualify for diversion but that does not mean there will not be other collateral issues.

You need to quit being a thief.

TigerD

You don't need to talk to the DA. You need to talk to the city prosecutor. They will not show up on the circuit court system, because they are municipal tickets.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">