• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Murder in Manhattan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Norm-x

Which courthouse in New York tries a second degree murder charge? Looking for location, address.

Just Blue

For :poop: and giggles I did that search Blue and I really didn't get a good response on the first page of results.
Oh well. Worth a shot. OP could call his/her Attorney and ask where to go for the first day of court...or something weird like that.

Norm-x

Thanks all! Another question: When the trial begins does the judge address the jury or does it start with the Prosecuting Attorney's opening statement to the jury? If my questions sound like they are coming from a rookie, bear with me. Just trying to get the whole picture of the event and put the pieces together in order.

Just Blue

Thanks all! Another question: When the trial begins does the judge address the jury or does it start with the Prosecuting Attorney's opening statement to the jury? If my questions sound like they are coming from a rookie, bear with me. Just trying to get the whole picture of the event and put the pieces together in order.
You should ask your attorney these questions. And I hope to GOD you are a "rookie" at murder charges.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
New York County Supreme Court
60 Centre St, (Foley Square)
New York, NY 10007

dun-dun
For a murder that occurs in NY County (Manhattan), there are actually two possible court locations, as indicated by the NY Courts webpage:

"The Supreme Court Criminal Term is housed in two separate buildings. 100 Centre Street is one block north of Worth Street between Hogan Place & White Street, approximately 3 blocks south of Canal Street. 111 Centre Street is on the southwest corner of Centre and White Streets."

I'm not sure where you got the address of 60 Centre street, but that may just be another entrance to the same complex as 100 Centre street.

Technically the trial starts with the jury selection — that is part of the trial process. Once the jury is selected and seated, the judge starts the trial by addressing the courtroom as a whole, generally by calling the case to order and asking the lawyers if they are ready to proceed, and then explaining to the jury what the process will be. Each judge is going to do it slightly differently however.

Norm-x

Thanks again.
Now more questions.

I understand that Victim Impact Statements are now commonly heard in the court room.

Does the presiding Judge decide if VIS's will be allowed or do the victims have a legal right to present their statements to the court?

If the judge can decide, is it routine to not allow VIS's or is it rare?

I understand that the VIS's are given to the court after a conviction. After the VIS's are made and if the court still has time for the sentencing, would the judge give the sentence immediately or is it considered a special event and purposely separated from the sentencing, which would happen at a further date?

I understand that some trials have such an impact on society that victims are given ample opportunity by the courts to state whatever is on their mind, no matter how long it takes. For example : In the trial of Larry Nassar 144 people gave impact statements that took three days. The judge said that they could say whatever they wanted. I would think that very lengthy VIC's would be in order, but it appears that most spoke only a few minutes. I was surprised that they were so short. What if each victim spoke about their suffering for over an hour? [IMO someone abused over years could easily take an hour to express its horrifying impact.] That would be 144 hours of court time. It would run into weeks of VIS's. Would the judge put an end to it at some point or let it run its course?

Last question, for now: In your opinion, do Victim Impact Statements have much bearing on the weight of the final sentence given to the convict?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Does the presiding Judge decide if VIS's will be allowed or do the victims have a legal right to present their statements to the court?
The victim has the right to make a statement regarding anything that would impact sentencing. New York Criminal Procedure Law (CPL) section 380.50(2)(b) states:

(b) If the defendant is being sentenced for a felony the court, if requested at least ten days prior to the sentencing date, shall accord the victim the right to make a statement with regard to any matter relevant to the question of sentence.  The court shall notify the defendant no less than seven days prior to sentencing of the victim's intent to make a statement at sentencing.  If the defendant does not receive timely notice pursuant to this subdivision, the defendant may request a reasonable adjournment.​

Note that the judge may limit the time the victim takes in making his/her statement. The victim may also submit a written statement to the person who conducts the pre-sentencing investigation that must be done when the defendant is convicted of a felony. CPL § 390.30(3)(b) states:

(b) The report shall also contain a victim impact statement, unless it appears that such information would be of no relevance to the recommendation or court disposition, which shall include an analysis of the victim's version of the offense, the extent of injury or economic loss and the actual out-of-pocket loss to the victim and the views of the victim relating to disposition including the amount of restitution and reparation sought by the victim after the victim has been informed of the right to seek restitution and reparation, subject to the availability of such information.  In the case of a homicide or where the victim is unable to assist in the preparation of the victim impact statement, the information may be acquired from the victim's family.  The victim impact statement shall be made available to the victim by the prosecutor pursuant to subdivision two of section 390.50 of this article.  Nothing contained in this section shall be interpreted to require that a victim supply information for the preparation of this report.​

Norm-x

PayrollHRGuy and Highwayman

Interesting comments. I see you are both senior members. I really don't know if that means you are well on in years of have just been on this forum for a very long time. I assume you are over 18, at least I hope so.

I joined this forum a few days ago because I was led to believe that I could get some answers to some legal questions and that I would not have to pay for them. Apparently that is what FREE ADVICE means. This forum is dedicated to legal issues. Right? I am not asking how to change the oil in a 2009 Audi A-6. That would be for a different forum. I accept that high priced lawyers are not breathlessly waiting here, ready to give free advice. I assumed it would be regular shmucks like me that had a little experience or at least an interest in legal matters and may come across a thread or two that caught their attention. If they had something to add to the thread, great. If not they could quietly read other comments or go on their way. Sure I am on other forums asking the same questions. Different forums may have different members. Some are members of many forums? Sounds reasonable to me. I am sorry you feel so violated. I want answers now, not next month or next week. I also use Chrome, Firefox, Duckduckgo, Google etc. I'm sure Google understands. Sound reasonable? Good, I knew you would agree.

One thing I did not expect on this forum was smart ass comments about a members inquiries. But that's okay because knowing who the smartasses are is better than not knowing. They usually surface but I did not think it would be so quickly.

To everyone one else, thanks so much for assisting me. Maybe answers to questions I forward will sharpen your thinking. Iron sharpens iron.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">