• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music fellowship competition fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spv

California

I had applied for a musical fellowship program with a reputed organization that is very active. Had paid some fees for the application. Couple of days later received an email stating that they had gone through my submission and that I was not a right fit.

However I checked recently and noticed that the YouTube video link that I had shared was never accessed on the days while they were reviewing my application.

I consider this to be a fraud and would be great if you can advice on how to proceed.

quincy

California

I had applied for a musical fellowship program with a reputed organization that is very active. Had paid some fees for the application. Couple of days later received an email stating that they had gone through my submission and that I was not a right fit.

However I checked recently and noticed that the YouTube video link that I had shared was never accessed on the days while they were reviewing my application.

I consider this to be a fraud and would be great if you can advice on how to proceed.
There might have been reasons beside your video that led to non-acceptance.

spv

There might have been reasons beside your video that led to non-acceptance.
Fair enough, however in the reply they categorically state that they have reviewed the video. In addition, no other information was shared other than the video.

quincy

Fair enough, however in the reply they categorically state that they have reviewed the video. In addition, no other information was shared other than the video.
I thought you said there was an application. Re-read your first post.

spv

Yes, there was an application and all they had asked to share was a video of a performance, with details of name, address and the musical genre.

quincy

Maybe they were not looking (or had already filled a position) for your particular musical genre.

I don't think you can go from not being accepted for a musical fellowship to fraud, in other words.

spv

Maybe they were not looking (or had already filled a position) for your particular musical genre.

I don't think you can go from not being accepted for a musical fellowship to fraud, in other words.
Ok. I was wondering how could they claim that they have reviewed the video and found it not good enough, when they simply did not review the video to start off with. They were certainly accepting application for the musical genre, as the genre was in the drop down box in the application web page. If they had already filled the position, I would have expected a reply to that effect, and not a lie.

quincy

Ok. I was wondering how could they claim that they have reviewed the video and found it not good enough, when they simply did not review the video to start off with. They were certainly accepting application for the musical genre, as the genre was in the drop down box in the application web page. If they had already filled the position, I would have expected a reply to that effect, and not a lie.
My genre-already-filled comment was just a guess, by the way. :)

I don't know why you were told what you were told but there are several elements that must be met in order to support a claim of fraud. I am not (yet) seeing fraud in what you have stated.

For fraud or deceit to be a viable claim, there must be a statement of fact and that fact must be relied on to be true. The fact must instead be false - and known to be false at the time it was stated.

The false fact must be stated with the intent that it be relied on as the truth - and it must indeed be relied on to be the truth.

Finally, there must be demonstrable harm that results directly from the reliance on the false fact being true, or at least the reliance on the false fact must be a substantial factor in causing harm.

IF the well-known organization offered musical fellowships with no actual intention of offering musical fellowships - and instead was just sitting back collecting application fees and/or rights to use the videos - that would be something entirely different.

But nothing you have said indicates that is what the organization has done.

Last edited:

spv

My genre-already-filled comment was just a guess, by the way. :)

I don't know why you were told what you were told but there are several elements that must be met in order to support a claim of fraud. I am not (yet) seeing fraud in what you have stated.

For fraud or deceit to be a viable claim, there must be a statement of fact and that fact must be relied on to be the true. The fact must instead be false - and known to be false at the time it was stated.

The false fact must be stated with the intent that it be relied on as the truth - and it must indeed be relied on to be the truth.

Finally, there must be demonstrable harm that results directly from the reliance on the false fact being true, or at least the reliance on the false fact must be a substantial factor in causing harm.

IF the well-known organization offered musical fellowships with no actual intention of offering musical fellowships - and instead was just sitting back collecting application fees and/or rights to use the videos - that would be something entirely different.

But nothing you have said indicates that is what the organization has done.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

quincy

You're welcome, spv. Thanks for the thanks.

I am sorry you did not get the fellowship.

If you still think that the organization is operating less-than-honestly, you could have an attorney in your area check it out.

I wish you success with your music.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Have you considered the possibility that their online date and time may not be meshed to your online date and time? This board is geared to a different time zone than I am in so all my posts show as being made three hours earlier than they actually were. Something of the same sort might be the case here.

quincy

I don't see that there is anything spv can do about it anyway, based on what has been said. There does not appear to have been any illegal conduct by the organization. There will always be those selected for fellowships and those who won't be.

quincy

spv can check it all out with a local attorney if she somehow thinks the competition was rigged in some way. I don't think that is the case, based on the little we know, but it is a possibility, I suppose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">