• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music online!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thepanister

What is the name of your state?Dallas, Texas ....
I have website and I wanna sell music online via downloading ...
Do I have to get license to sell the music?
I heard that there are new 4 laws here in texas prevent selling music without copyrights ! IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL ....
I wanna make sure about that ....

Some Random Guy

Simply contact the recording labels that manage the copyrights on the songs and negotiate contracts with each one for rights to sell songs in their catalog.

Expect large up front payments plus per download royalties. Also expect strict auditing of your systems to verify royalty accounting and security of your digital content. I assume that you own a large established business that the recording companies would agree to do business with?

divgradcurl

In addition to what Random Guy said (obtaining licenses to sell the "sound recordings"), you'll also need to purchase licenses for the underlying "musical works" -- you can get those licenses from the Harry Fox Agency. The "musical work" licenses are compulsory, which means they have to give them to you if you cough up the cash -- but good luck with getting licenses to sell the "sound recordings."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">