• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Royalties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

db9167

I'm in Massachusetts but my question has to do with music royalties. A group I know is planning on releasing two single CD's and later a full CD (12 songs with the two singles included). If one member just plays/sings on one song (that will be included in the full CD release) and the full release CD sells, is that member ONLY entitled to royalties from that ONE song or the entire full release? Hope it's not too confusing. Thanks

HomeGuru

db9167 said:
I'm in Massachusetts but my question has to do with music royalties. A group I know is planning on releasing two single CD's and later a full CD (12 songs with the two singles included). If one member just plays/sings on one song (that will be included in the full CD release) and the full release CD sells, is that member ONLY entitled to royalties from that ONE song or the entire full release? Hope it's not too confusing. Thanks
**A: either way depending upon who owns the copyright. For example research the history of the Beatles 2 main songwriters, John and Paul.

D

db9167

Music Roaylties

Ahhhh..Ok. Just one other question. If the leader of the band is the songwriter, copyrights the music, etc. are the other group members entitled to royalties? If so, is the standard still between 2 and 10%?

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">