• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Website Legality?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlnelson4

Hi There. I want to create a website that allows people to share and explore music that other people have created. It will be similar to Soundcloud, except I plan on making this available only to those who choose to share their music 100% free to others, of course they will still give credit to the artist. (If they want to charge $$ for their songs, they can go elsewhere).

My question: If I do this, what are the legal issues that I may face? Can I still get sued by providing a platform where people can share their musical ideas with one another?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi There. I want to create a website that allows people to share and explore music that other people have created. It will be similar to Soundcloud, except I plan on making this available only to those who choose to share their music 100% free to others, of course they will still give credit to the artist. (If they want to charge $$ for their songs, they can go elsewhere).

My question: If I do this, what are the legal issues that I may face? Can I still get sued by providing a platform where people can share their musical ideas with one another?
Sorry - US law only.

In the US, you can be sued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">