• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

must city police enforce anti discrimination federal law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is some general advice.

I used to own a restaurant. I had several regular customers who were blind or physically disabled and would come in with their service animals. I had no problem with this and would have severely disciplined any employee that gave those customers any grief.

Those customers however did not place blankets down for the service animals, did not feed the service animals while there and the service animals were clearly "on alert" the entire time that they were there. They were clearly professionally trained and were wearing service vests.

You are insisting that a business must treat your self trained service animal the same way as a professionally trained animal and you feel that you have a right to place a blanket down for the animal and feed the animal while in the establishment. I think that is where you are perhaps losing credibility in the community and perhaps why the police were not more sympathetic to your situation and seemed to side with the management of the establishment.

It might behoove you to seek out some expert assistance in both the training and the use of service animals in public places. It may be that some additional training plus modifications of your behavior would make things work better for you.

ONce again, someone in business that doesnt know what their talking about when it comes to the ADA... smfh.

"You are insisting that a business must treat your self trained service animal the same way as a professionally trained animal and you feel that you have a right to place a blanket down for the animal and feed the animal while in the establishment. I think that is where you are perhaps losing credibility in the community and perhaps why the police were not more sympathetic to your situation and seemed to side with the management of the establishment."

they better treat my self trained dog the same as a professionally trained one!!!
"
Q5. Does the ADA require service animals to be professionally trained?

A
. No. People with disabilities have the right to train the dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog training program."

I have a right to feed my animal in the store...
"
Q9. Who is responsible for the care and supervision of a service animal?
A
. The handler is responsible for caring for and supervising the service animal, which includes toileting, feeding, and grooming and veterinary care. Covered entities are not obligated to supervise or otherwise care for a service animal."

i am NOT losing credibility in the community. Like others on here, YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO READ THE LAW!!! Good thing I have a BACHELORS degree in Criminal Justice.

It is NOT a matter of sympathy with the police.... as another person said above police issue on the basis of a request REGARDLESS of the reason.

Glad to know you dont own a business anymore. there are MANY types of service animals other than blind. Next time you want to answer, KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT! And people wonder why I get upset? smfh.

I bet you didnt even know I could WALK THROUGH A BUFFET LINE with her, did you?

"
Q10. Can a person bring a service animal with them as they go through a salad bar or other self-service food lines?

A
. Yes. Service animals must be allowed to accompany their handlers to and through self-service food lines. Similarly, service animals may not be prohibited from communal food preparation areas, such as are commonly found in shelters or dormitories."

NO MATTER WHO OR HOW it is trained, as long as it PERFORMS A SPECIFIC FUNCTION RELATED TO THE DISABILITY, it qualifies as a service animal.

Last edited:

If the franchise owner is unresponsive to your written request for a satisfactory resolution, you should contact a civil rights attorney in your area for a personal review of the facts.

Your contact with the franchise owner needs to be by formal letter sent by mail (no emails, no texts, no phone calls). Send the letter certified mail, return receipt requested.

Your letter should be professional. No accusations or threats. You probably would benefit from having an attorney draft the letter for you.

Good luck.
thank you for your civil and well written answer.

It occurs to me that placing a blanket on the floor places workers/other customers at risk of a trip/fall.
No, it does not... and when the LAW calls for REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS, things like this fall under it. I am not asking for advise on the ADA. I know that backwards and forewards. I was asking about police's position in this. Your response is the same as saying peoplel with allergies should get preferential treatment when the LAW says otherwise. Unfortunately, the problem with this area of law is NOT the people WITH disabilities, but the people who think thy know more than they actually do. EVEN THE HEALTH DEPT agreed with me.... a guy who has a degree in criminal justice.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Q9. Who is responsible for the care and supervision of a service animal?
A
. The handler is responsible for caring for and supervising the service animal, which includes toileting, feeding, and grooming and veterinary care. Covered entities are not obligated to supervise or otherwise care for a service animal."
I don't read that as saying you have a right to feed the dog in a place of public accommodation. That simply says that the disabled person cannot make the business do those things. So absent case law on it, I think that's very much up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">