• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must go to night shift?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stu103

I live in Wisconsin and have been told my company is going to hire a new employee to program a machine we have and also perform the some of the same duties I currently handle. I am being told I MUST go to the night shift. We currently have three employees trained to program this machine and one of them will leave once the other person is hired. I am not trained to program this machine but I can run it. Can I be fired for refusing to switch shifts? I have many family responsibilities that will have to be stopped and will cause much hardship if this is allowed to happen to me. Please excuse me if my formatting is not proper as I have never posted to a forum before. Thanks for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you can be fired for refusing to change shifts.

Unless you have a bona fide, legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, you work the shift that your employer wants you to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">