• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 14 yr old son expelled indefintly from all schools in. The state of Nevada , is that even leagal ? Do i have a case of discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dank101

There are certain children, at a fairly young age, and heaven knows there are all sorts, sizes and shapes of 14 year olds, who become such a problem to the schools that they simply cannot be disciplined and dealt with within the scope of the normal public school situation. And in my experience this is a very large scope with some very far ranging alternatives. So he is also banned from any school or any sort of alternative programs in the whole county?

I have known of children who have actually carried in weapons or fought with teachers and resource officers who didn't get this much of a total expulsion. It could just be this particular school system. But from the sound of things, we are getting an extremely spotty and sanitized version of this. I really doubt that your 14 year old said anything like, "Please remove yourself from my personal space at once, sir." And when we hear that you "can't find an attorney that will go against Lyon County" that is an indicator that others who have heard this story may have found it convincing enough that Lyon County is within its rights to ban your son. Of course you can always check with more attorneys.

Is it possible your son was making "shoot up the school" type threats, in addition to "standing aggressively?" Instead of fighting against the ban, wanting to demand services for your son from anyone unwilling to provide them, I think perhaps you should use your resources to explore homeschool options and more professional counseling for your son. When you say he has become very "co dependent" I would ask, co dependent upon whom? If he is clinging to you he is obviously needing more help with his issues. It's doubtful that being banned from the school has caused these issues though it may have worsened them. If it is someone outside the family, you need to help him find distance from this influence.
No he did not make any shooting motions in regards to shooting school

commentator

If you cannot get an attorney in your area to take your case on a contingency basis, that most likely means they do not see any potential for any success in your situation. But you're going to have to figure out some way to continue to educate him. A 14 year old boy who has been expelled from school doesn't need to have a girlfriend he is in constant regular contact with so that she is influencing him. Take away his phone. He should be grounded anyway.

Dank101

If you cannot get an attorney in your area to take your case on a contingency basis, that most likely means they do not see any potential for any success in your situation. But you're going to have to figure out some way to continue to educate him. A 14 year old boy who has been expelled from school doesn't need to have a girlfriend he is in constant regular contact with so that she is influencing him. Take away his phone. He should be grounded anyway.
Indeed i concur it has been almost a year now. And yes he has been grounded however. I feel that the consequence was very extreme. And feel that if it were to a student of different background race and eco social it woukd have been different

Dank101

So what have you been doing for schooling for the past year?
Been trying to get him in somentyoe of online school. Theybsaid thatbthe home school was free however you have ti paynfor each curriculum and with the online school we dontbhave the internet or computer indontbknow what else to do

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
he was supposed.to have an IEP plan before the school year but never recieved one
WHY was he supposed to have an IEP? And what did you do to ensure the school followed through? Does your son live with you? When you talked to the school, what did THEY say happened?

FlyingRon

It's not likely that there is no case here that will benefit the child, it's just that there's not going to be any monetary award the attorney can claw their fee out of.

Like every other statement the poster made, the "He's supposed to be on an IEP" is slanted and ambiguous. Has the child been qualified for special ed services or not? (The IEP isn't the qualification, but rather one of the things that happens after the student is so qualified).

Dank101

WHY was he supposed to have an IEP? And what did you do to ensure the school followed through? Does your son live with you? When you talked to the school, what did THEY say happened?
[/yes tmhe lives with me im a single father od 2 a son and a daughter whike he was in 8th grade the year before hus entering high school he was involved in a fight with an 18 yr old on the bus qnd was suspended for 90 days first time being in any kind of trouble then after being at the high school in the beganing of the year dec 12 th to be exact he was expelled the school said that he was habitual thats what they said the reason for expulsion I was not aware of this last incident until he was brought home never once dis i rexeive a call feom the school about and interventions never ince has he bwen in APEP which is a in school suspension

Dank101

We wanted an IEP because if the altercation on thr bus it was actually a stipulation by the school in ordee for him to return

FlyingRon

That's not how the system works. You don't get an IEP because "you want one." You get an IEP because a student qualifies for special education services. I suggest you contact an education lawyer. There's not much we can do for you here because you have a skewed sense of reality.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
We wanted an IEP because if the altercation on thr bus it was actually a stipulation by the school in ordee for him to return
Yet it seems as though you never followed up with respect to that IEP? If it was a stipulation by the school, you got it, but never enforced anything to do with it, I can see why the school finally threw up their hands. It may "take a village", but that village requires a leader - in this case, a *parent* to push through what is needed for their child.

Honestly? Between this thread and the other, it appears that many of your problems can be laid at your own feet - you seem to expect to be informed of things, have others do whatever, but you aren't proactive.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So - what has your 14yo been doing for the almost year he hasn't been in school. You mentioned that you've been looking into online schooling, but can't afford the curriculum. Most places have assistance for those who need it. Have you asked? The school district may be required to assist with same, but you do need to be a bit proactive.

Given that you've been doing little for a year (apparently) is troubling. Your son doesn't strike me - from what you've written - to be a person who does well with too much (unsupervised?) time on his hands.

Dank101

That's not how the system works. You don't get an IEP because "you want one." You get an IEP because a student qualifies for special education services. I suggest you contact an education lawyer. There's not much we can do for you here because you have a skewed sense of reality.
Your right. However the school had requested to have him tested for one. Maybe my sense of reality is somewhat skewed I remember when the students education and keeping them in school to better there future was number one i remember if the child was having a hard time teachers would go to the parents house and talked to them if they didn't know how to read or simole arithmetic they wiukd teachbthem how to read as well wantingvti make a difference seems to be un heard of nowadays or skewed reality

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">