• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 18 Year Old Daughter Got Married Am I Still Responsible To Pay Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crime162

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

MY 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER LIVES WITH HER MOTHER. SHE WAS RECENTLY MARRIED WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. I HAVE ALWAYS SUPPORTED HER AND STILL DO. MY QUESTION IS SIMPLY AM I STILL RESPONSIBLE TO SUPPORT HER? MY SECOND QUESTION IS, IF SHE WERE TO GET AN ANNULMENT OR DECIDED TO DIVORCE WOULD I AGAIN BE RESPONSIBLE FOR HER SURPPORT. :confused:

BelizeBreeze

crime162 said:

MY 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER LIVES WITH HER MOTHER. SHE WAS RECENTLY MARRIED WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. I HAVE ALWAYS SUPPORTED HER AND STILL DO. MY QUESTION IS SIMPLY AM I STILL RESPONSIBLE TO SUPPORT HER?
Yes
MY SECOND QUESTION IS, IF SHE WERE TO GET AN ANNULMENT OR DECIDED TO DIVORCE WOULD I AGAIN BE RESPONSIBLE FOR HER SURPPORT. :confused:
No.

Now, do you want to ask the CORRECT question?

Gracie3787

crime162 said:

MY 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER LIVES WITH HER MOTHER. SHE WAS RECENTLY MARRIED WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. I HAVE ALWAYS SUPPORTED HER AND STILL DO. MY QUESTION IS SIMPLY AM I STILL RESPONSIBLE TO SUPPORT HER? MY SECOND QUESTION IS, IF SHE WERE TO GET AN ANNULMENT OR DECIDED TO DIVORCE WOULD I AGAIN BE RESPONSIBLE FOR HER SURPPORT. :confused:
Look at your CS order, most of them have something about CS obligation ending upon child reaching age of majority, emancipation, MARRIAGE, etc.

BelizeBreeze

Gracie3787 said:
Look at your CS order, most of them have something about CS obligation ending upon child reaching age of majority, emancipation, MARRIAGE, etc.
And that would be WRONG. And the wrong question.

Gracie3787

BelizeBreeze said:
And that would be WRONG. And the wrong question.
Okay ye perfect god of this forum who is ALWAYS right while evreyone else is ALWAYS wrong :rolleyes: -

Why don't YOU post the correct answer??

Actually, I probably already know why, but since you are all knowing and always right, I'd rather let you say why for yourself.
Gracie

BelizeBreeze

Gracie3787 said:
Okay ye perfect god of this forum who is ALWAYS right while evreyone else is ALWAYS wrong :rolleyes: -

Actually, I probably already know why, but since you are all knowing and always right, I'd rather let you say why for yourself.
Gracie
I did. Now you tell me from what state this poster in located and WHY that makes a difference.

Gracie3787

BelizeBreeze said:
I did. Now you tell me from what state this poster in located and WHY that makes a difference.
Okay, the poster is from New York, where the age of majority is 21.

Why does the state make any difference on whether the court order says anything about marriage or not?

I'm not trying to be flip, I'd just like to understand how I was wrong in telling OP to check the CS order.
Gracie :confused:

BelizeBreeze

Gracie3787 said:
Okay, the poster is from New York, where the age of majority is 21.
FINALLY!
Why does the state make any difference on whether the court order says anything about marriage or not?
Because a court order cannot flyin the face of statue. The law is 21. The support order must therefore be issued for 21 at the MINIMUM.
I'm not trying to be flip, I'd just like to understand how I was wrong in telling OP to check the CS order.
Gracie :confused:
now, there is a reason I said he didn't ask the correct question. It's in the hope that the RIGHT question will be asked and therefore something learned.

So, go back to the original two questions and come back with the one that ISN'T asked which is the MOST important.

Gracie3787

BelizeBreeze said:
FINALLY!

Because a court order cannot flyin the face of statue. The law is 21. The support order must therefore be issued for 21 at the MINIMUM.

now, there is a reason I said he didn't ask the correct question. It's in the hope that the RIGHT question will be asked and therefore something learned.

So, go back to the original two questions and come back with the one that ISN'T asked which is the MOST important.
Either I'm very tired or my brain has shut down, but the only question I can come up with is:

How did my minor child get married without my permission?

Am I right, do I get some kind of prize? OK, a pat on the head will do (if I finally got it right)
Gracie

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Gracie3787 said:
Either I'm very tired or my brain has shut down, but the only question I can come up with is:

How did my minor child get married without my permission?

Am I right, do I get some kind of prize? OK, a pat on the head will do (if I finally got it right)
Gracie
Occums Razor: The best solution is usually the easiest.

The CORRECT question is "What is required to stop child support upon her marriage?" and the correct answer would be file a motion to cease support on the basis of emancipation.

easy huh?

Gracie3787

BelizeBreeze said:
Occums Razor: The best solution is usually the easiest.

The CORRECT question is "What is required to stop child support upon her marriage?" and the correct answer would be file a motion to cease support on the basis of emancipation.

easy huh?
OK, now I understand, and that really proves it, I AM tired so I'm going to bed.
Gracie

crime162

Gracie3787 said:

Gracie
Thank you all for your replies. But I don't have a court order to pay child support. I have always supported her without courts being involved. I did find out that the reason I was not told of the marriage, was so I would continue to financially support her. I do know now that once she married she became emancipated, and i'm no longer obligated to support her. But what if she got an annulment or divorce, would I legally have to continue supporting her again. New york is the worst when it comes to this stuff.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Without an order to support her - you've never been obligated to do so. SO you can stop at any time.

As for the other comments.... It is common for orders in NYS to include verbiage that states support continues to 21 UNLESS the "child" is emancipated by certain events - working fulltime, enlisting fulltime in the military, marriage are among them. If that verbiage is included, one generally has to petition the court to recognize the emancipating event as such and order support terminated. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">