• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 9 year old and a minor car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My 9 year old was in the back seat of my boyfriend's car after he picked her up from school when they were rear ended. She was buckled in and safe. She said she hit her head on the seat when her head went forward and then back, but had no bump, did not complain of pain and had no symptoms of head injury. She has not complained of pain or discomfort at all since the accident.

I was planning to inform her dad out of courtesy, but am not sure if I have to do it legally.

My question is...
What and how much am I legally required to inform my ex (her dad) if at all? Does he need anything in writing? Does he need a copy of the accident or insurance companies findings or report?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you kidding?

If you and dad were living together, happily married (or happily boyfriended/girlfriended), would you even be ASKING this question?

Why on EARTH would you NOT have the common decency to let dad know?

Antigone*

My 9 year old was in the back seat of my boyfriend's car after he picked her up from school when they were rear ended. She was buckled in and safe. She said she hit her head on the seat when her head went forward and then back, but had no bump, did not complain of pain and had no symptoms of head injury. She has not complained of pain or discomfort at all since the accident.

I was planning to inform her dad out of courtesy, but am not sure if I have to do it legally.

My question is...
What and how much am I legally required to inform my ex (her dad) if at all? Does he need anything in writing? Does he need a copy of the accident or insurance companies findings or report?
:eek::eek::eek: Why on earth you not inform her father. How would you feel if he kept that type of information from you:mad:

My question is...

So to reiterate, I plan on telling him. Nothing would keep it from him. As you can read, I was asking what I have to provide legally. Do I have to do it in writing in addition to a phone call? Does he need a copy of the insurance report or is informing him satisfactory.

Antigone*

[/U][/B]

So to reiterate, I plan on telling him. Nothing would keep it from him. As you can read, I was asking what I have to provide legally. Do I have to do it in writing in addition to a phone call? Does he need a copy of the insurance report or is informing him satisfactory.
If your order is silent on the matter a phone call is sufficient.

ecmst12

If he wants a copy of the police report, let him know where he can get it from (unless you have a copy, in which case, the decent thing would be to copy it for him). And give him the insurance adjuster's information if he asks and wants to talk to them.

cyjeff

guys... you are missing the big picture.

Dad will ask why boyfriend is not only picking up kiddo from school but also getting into car accidents.

Mom wants boyfriend to continue picking up kiddo from school and so she doesn't want to tell Dad.

Dad will, of course, find out when he sees kiddo next because that accident will be the biggest thing to happen to kiddo all week.

Dad will then, of course, assume that there was much more going on in the accident because why else would Mom not have told him IMMEDIATELY about an accident involving his daughter.

Mom will then, of course, tell Dad that he is over reacting because kiddo just had a bump on the head. A bump on the head, by the way, that proves that kiddo was NOT properly belted in unless kiddo is 6' tall.

So, to summarize... mom is trying to figure out if it is just better to keep Dad in the dark rather than have to explain a whole bunch of things that Dad does not currently know about.

The answer is easy when flipped. Mom, would you want Dad to tell you when kiddo was in an accident in his girlfriend/boyfriend's car (trying not to judge, here)? Of course you would.

Off to the phone with you. Be prepared to explain what the doctor said after you had kiddo checked out.

OHRoadwarrior

If bf was rear ended, it is safe to assume his driving was not involved actively. If he was not cited for anything, mom should have no problem with the explanation.

ecmst12

And bumping the head on the seat behind her does NOT in any way indicate improper seat belting. If she'd bumped his head on the seat IN FRONT that would indicate improper belting. But I don't think that's what happened.

cyjeff

Which seat was hit was unclear. I will admit that I thought it was the seat in front.

I will wonder why boyfriend is picking up child at school. Where is mom at this time? Is boyfriend a legally recognized guardian to the child that has authority to get the child or, instead, a legal stranger that is removing the child from school?

Maybe Dad would want to know, too.

Who's Liable?

Why hasn't the kid been examined by a doctor? ANY impact of the head, especially a childs head, should be examined REGARDLESS of any sign or complaint of injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">