• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My A/C is out in Texas!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brittdee

What are my rights and options as a tenant in Texas regarding A/C? I live in a 2bdrm unit and the management is not repairing my A/C.. atleast not permanently. My A/C has gone out every single day for the past week, conveniently after hours. Each morning, maintenance applies what I refer to as a “quick fix” because within hours, the temperature goes right back to being unbearable. Are there any legal steps I can take to ensure they fix my a/c for good? Thanks in advance.

Just Blue

What are my rights and options as a tenant in Texas regarding A/C? I live in a 2bdrm unit and the management is not repairing my A/C.. atleast not permanently. My A/C has gone out every single day for the past week, conveniently after hours. Each morning, maintenance applies what I refer to as a “quick fix” because within hours, the temperature goes right back to being unbearable. Are there any legal steps I can take to ensure they fix my a/c for good? Thanks in advance.
What does your lease state regarding A/C?

brittdee

Thank you for the response! My lease includes a part that includes their responsibility as owner which includes “maintaining fixtures, hot water, heating, and air conditioning equipment;”

FarmerJ

Call your city building inspections desk and tell them your building maint guy monkey rigs it so it will work for a few hours then it stops and you would appreciate it if someone from inspections can come out.

PayrollHRGuy

From the Texas AG website.

If the landlord won't make repairs needed to protect your health, safety, or security, and you follow the procedures required by law, you may be entitled to:

• End the lease;
  • Have the problem repaired and deduct the cost of the repair from the rent; or
  • File suit to force the landlord to make the repairs.
You MUST Follow These Steps:

1. Send the landlord a dated letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, or by registered mail, outlining the needed repairs. You may also deliver the letter in person. Keep a copy of the letter. Be sure that your rent is current when the notice is received.
  2. Your landlord should make a diligent effort to repair the problem within a reasonable time after receipt of the notice. The law presumes seven days to be a reasonable time, but the landlord can rebut this presumption. If the landlord has not made a diligent effort to complete the repair within seven days and you did not have the first notice letter delivered to your landlord via certified mail, return receipt requested, or via registered mail, you will need to send a second notice letter regarding the needed repairs.
  3. If the landlord still has not made diligent efforts to repair the problem within a reasonable time after receipt of the notice letter sent by certified mail, return receipt requested or by registered mail, you may be entitled to terminate the lease, repair the problem and deduct the cost from your rent, or get a court to order that the repairs be made. You should consult with an attorney before taking any of these actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">