• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My band stole my money and kicked me out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PDurbin91

It's a long story but I will try and sum it up as best that I can. I was in a local band here in Knoxville, TN. We were all informed by the bassist that the cost of shooting our first music video was $500. I gave my $100 cut to the bassist in practice one day while everyone was present. I also covered the drummers $100 cut. Last Saturday, we went to film the video but got rained out. The director returned the money to the bassist, and I noticed the small stack of $20's he had did not look like $500. The next day I messaged the director and asked how much the total cost of the video was. He informed me the video was $250, not $500. He also explained that beings we did not film anything he returned the money to the bassist. I got in contact with the drummer about my findings. And he became just as upset as I was. After I had enough evidence to back myself up, I posted a message in the bands group chat that stated something important came up and we all needed to get together and talk. This is when the bassist started acting very sketchy. Within 15 minutes, he called me and asked if I had received any money from the director, which he knew I did not, because the director gave it to him. Then he called the drummer and told him that he gave half of the "$500" to the director because he planned on rescheduling, which the drummer and I both knew was not true based upon what the director had already told me. The other two members of the band have yet to say anything to me since the night that we were going to record the video. Then the bassist removed me from all band related material such as our Facebook page and our group chat. So I put all of my evidence on my personal Facebook page so that the other members would be able to see my findings. Still no contact with them. However their girlfriends did see it and have commented a couple times. I confronted the bassist, and he once again told me the video was $500. I called him out on lying. The video never happened, I was kicked from the band, and my money has not been returned. The bassist informed me that I was voted out of the band weeks before. So now I know that they all wanted to kick me from the band, but kept me around long enough to get my money before kicking me. Since being kicked, my girlfriend wrote a professional message to the bassist who replied by saying we had the drummer be my "yes man" to spy on me and find out what kind of "snake" I am. I never did anyone wrong in this band. I feel like the bassist slandered my name and him and the two other member who wont contact me conspired against me based on the bassist's lies. I feel like I could at least get him on charges of Defamation and Theft. However I do not know how these things work exactly.

My question is, what grounds do I stand on to push this matter legally? I just want my money back. My girlfriend and I need it to move in November.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'd say small claims court, but you probably have no paper trail of this arrangement - nothing in writing, right?

PDurbin91

The only thing I don't have in writing is the bassist's claim that the video was $500. At the very least, I can prove that I gave up $200 and that the video was not paid for.

quincy

The only thing I don't have in writing is the bassist's claim that the video was $500. At the very least, I can prove that I gave up $200 and that the video was not paid for.
With the proof you have, you should be able to support a small claims suit for the return of your $200.

Here is a link to Tennessee's self help center, with links to small claims information:

http://www.tsc.state.tn.us/programs/self-help-center

Good luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Also, I have in writing that the bassist received my first $100 being my cut of the bill. It hints at a $500 total.
It does not matter what the total was supposed to be - it only matters how much money you're out. Just focus on the $200 that you are owed.

quincy

The written document will be good to have in court.

It is too bad that the bassist turned out to be a dishonorable sort and that a court action is necessary to get your money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">