• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boss changes my timeclock, what do i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

el_gadro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I live in ohio, go to college, and work part time job around 20-25 hours a week.
My job we clock in on a computer, so all the times are stored in the computer that managers and boss is able to change at any times.

When they change our times (im not the only person whos times they change/steal), next to our name it shows a star * that indicates our times was edited. Yesterday i asked one manager to show me last 2 weeks day by day that i worked, and i noticed this star * next to my name 3 different days, which means my time was edited without my premission or knoweladge. They seem to take away 15-30 minutes each time they do this. even tho thats not alot, im getting really angry about this. What are the laws for this? i feel like suing them, but i dont really want to go to court over this. and since i been working for them for more then a year, i suspect they have been doing this for a very long time, they have been cought by some other people as far as 6 months ago. so im pretty sure they owe me a nice amount of money (for a college kid)

so what can i do? and what should i do? what are the laws for this. if anyone could help me out ill be thankfull.

el_gadro

What was your manager's response when you asked them why your timeclock entries were adjusted.
he just told me that he doesnt know what to say, and to talk to the boss because he is the one that does that. at first he didnt know himself what the stars next to the name mean. so i told him to go to a day where i dont have a star next to my name and edit my time to see if the star appears. and it did. so he confirmed to me that the star means times are being changed and told me to talk to the boss.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then that's your next step. When you find out why the time is being changed, come back and tell us and we'll then tell you where to go next.

el_gadro

Then that's your next step. When you find out why the time is being changed, come back and tell us and we'll then tell you where to go next.
i know why is it being changed, so the boss can steal money from me. i heard that he isnt allowed to change my time at all unless he tells me first and im there to see it.

he cant possibly have any good excuse as why is he changing my times so fequently behind my back.

do you think he will straight up tell me " oh im changing your times and everyone elses so i can have more money for myself" ? ofcourse not.
but next time i see him, im definatley going to ask.

Last edited:

LeeHarveyBlotto

i know why is it being changed, so the boss can steal money from me. i heard that he isnt allowed to change my time at all unless he tells me first and im there to see it.
That "I Heard" guy is an idiot. He's wrong once again.

he cant possibly have any good excuse as why is he changing my times so fequently behind my back.
I can think of several perfectly valid reasons for doing so.

el_gadro

That "I Heard" guy is an idiot. He's wrong once again.

I can think of several perfectly valid reasons for doing so.
go on explain to me?

why is it legal for a boss to change my work times? i clocked in, worked, clocked out. went home. i havent taken any breaks. ever. so means he can change anyones time anytime he wants without them knowing?

tell me those several perfectly valid reason. not without me being told why wouldb he do it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You heard wrong, then.

There is no law in any state that prohibits an employer from changing time cards, per se, with or without the employee's consent. What is illegal is in not paying the employee for all the time actually worked.

An example.

Suppose you clocked in at 7:30, then you went and hung up your coat, got coffee, chatted with a co-worker about the game last night, glanced over the headlines of the newspaper, checked your personal e-mail, and at 8:00 went to work. It would be LEGAL for your employer to change your time card to reflect 8:00 as a start time, whether you knew about it and approved it or not. You did not work that half hour so you did not have to be paid for that half hour.

Likewise (and this is only for an example, obviously this is not what's happening) if you came in at 7:30 and immediately began work, and then at 8:00 you suddenly remembered that you had not clocked in, it would be legal for your employer to change your time card to reflect the extra half hour that you worked even if you had decided to write it off as being your own mistake. (It would not only be legal in this case, it would be mandatory for your employer to make THAT change.)

But, if you worked unauthorized overtime and your employer subtracted that time from your card because it wasn't approved, THAT would be illegal since it would result in your being paid less time than you worked.

A certain about of rounding is legal under the law, but only within 15 minute increments and only if it rounds to the nearest quarter hour regardless of who it favors.

I still think it would be best to address it with your boss first. If he refuses to take any action to see that you are paid for any time that was missed, THEN you can go to the DOL but it's always best to exhaust internal remedies first.

el_gadro

You heard wrong, then.

There is no law in any state that prohibits an employer from changing time cards, per se, with or without the employee's consent. What is illegal is in not paying the employee for all the time actually worked.

An example.

Suppose you clocked in at 7:30, then you went and hung up your coat, got coffee, chatted with a co-worker about the game last night, glanced over the headlines of the newspaper, checked your personal e-mail, and at 8:00 went to work. It would be LEGAL for your employer to change your time card to reflect 8:00 as a start time, whether you knew about it and approved it or not. You did not work that half hour so you did not have to be paid for that half hour.

Likewise (and this is only for an example, obviously this is not what's happening) if you came in at 7:30 and immediately began work, and then at 8:00 you suddenly remembered that you had not clocked in, it would be legal for your employer to change your time card to reflect the extra half hour that you worked even if you had decided to write it off as being your own mistake. (It would not only be legal in this case, it would be mandatory for your employer to make THAT change.)

But, if you worked unauthorized overtime and your employer subtracted that time from your card because it wasn't approved, THAT would be illegal since it would result in your being paid less time than you worked.

A certain about of rounding is legal under the law, but only within 15 minute increments and only if it rounds to the nearest quarter hour regardless of who it favors.

I still think it would be best to address it with your boss first. If he refuses to take any action to see that you are paid for any time that was missed, THEN you can go to the DOL but it's always best to exhaust internal remedies first.
thank you for a helpfull post.

i dont think thats the case tho, since i work in a restaurant and i when i clock in i got to go straight to cooking.

ill see what will be his response when i ask him about it.

el_gadro

Well i talked to my boss and asked him why was my time being changed, his response was he doesnt know why is it being changed or who is doing it, i told him directly that i know its him doing it, but he keept on being defensive and saying he doesnt know who is doing it and denies doing it. So by his theory one of the managers is adjusting the times, he hasnt said it directly, but its only logical explanation. Which is really stupid considering this has been happening over 6 months, and he "didnt know" about it.

well after talk, and him trying to "figure out" who to blame, and seemed very pissed off when i mentioned the name of the manager who showed me day by day reports, and after i directly said i know it was him doing it, he went on with him having no idea.....then i simply walked out.

im not gonna take any legal actions, im just fed up with it. but id like to know, based on this, what could i do? and this is exacly what i expected... ovbiously he wouldnt admitt to him doing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">