• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boss opened my mail (legal) but took item of value (legal?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
Tennessee

My principal opened mail addressed to me, and I understand that is perfectly legal. My question regards the contents of the mail opened, as it contained gift credits from a local book reseller. One of those credits ($20) was for me as my name was on the list of recipients. He never gave it to me, even though I specifically asked in writing. Is this a criminal matter? What recourse, if any, do I have?

PayrollHRGuy

Who actually pays for the books from the reseller? Also, if the gift card was an inducement to gain the school's business for the reseller that gift card could be considered an illegal kickback/bribe.

quincy

What is the name of your state?
Tennessee

My principal opened mail addressed to me, and I understand that is perfectly legal. My question regards the contents of the mail opened, as it contained gift credits from a local book reseller. One of those credits ($20) was for me as my name was on the list of recipients. He never gave it to me, even though I specifically asked in writing. Is this a criminal matter? What recourse, if any, do I have?
How do you figure it is legal for the principal to open mail addressed to you?

PayrollHRGuy

Another question. If there were "Gift Credits" in the envelope and on one of them were for you why were they all mailed to you?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
How do you figure it is legal for the principal to open mail addressed to you?
If it was addressed mailed to a teacher at the school itself then the mail is likely school mail, and like any employer the school may open mail sent to its employees at work -- that's work mail, not personal mail.

Basic scenario:
A large used book dealer will send a $20 gift certificate to each faculty member of a school. One faculty member handles the donation by sending in a list of faculty members and the subject area taught. Since I am the certified teacher who handles this, I sent in a list of names that included 55 educators in our building (mine included).
I was out when the credits arrived, so my principal opened the letter and dispersed SOME of the credits to the faculty whose names were included. Those of us who weren't there didn't get ours, not did the TAs (teacher assistants) - even though they were listed as recipients, as well. (The TAs were told that they were not intended for non-certified personnel, which is not true.)
I asked at the post office, and I was told that my POE can legally open mail addressed to me, but they were unable to tell me if my POE was legally allowed to KEEP an item of value that was intended for me or others (as indicated by the list of names accompanying the credits).

Not a kickback or anything else - just a perfectly legit charitable donation / tax write-off.
*Postmaster said it could be addressed to Mata Hari and they could open it as long as it was sent to a place of business.

adjusterjack

Under the circumstances you describe the gift card was fair game if it didn't have your name on the card itself.

Besides, this is not something you want to fall on your sword for.

LdiJ

Under the circumstances you describe the gift card was fair game if it didn't have your name on the card itself.

Besides, this is not something you want to fall on your sword for.
I agree that its something that you don't want to fall on your sword for, but I still think it was a very tacky thing for the principal to do.

However OP, is there any chance that the principal may have put the ones for the people who weren't there that day away somewhere and has forgotten to pass them out?

commentator

Yep, it's important that you approach the principal in a non-confrontational manner about this issue, because it's not really worth making a huge deal out of and demanding your legal right to the $20 coupon. Setting up an antagonistic relationship with your supervisor isn't something you want to do if you're not very secure in your job.

This is the voice of long ago experience as a Tennessee teacher. Some people have held on to their jobs in an educational setting so long they lose all perspective about the relative importance of ANY turf issue and they'll fight you viciously about anything, up to and including who controls the keys to the sanitary napkin dispenser in the girls restroom. (actual experience of mine!) That you are saying the principal has said these coupons are not for teaching assistants indicates that you have already discussed the matter with him/her.

quincy

There can be legal risks involved for an employer who monitors private mail sent to employees, even when the mail is sent to an employee at the employer’s address. It is not federal mail laws that would be violated but rather state privacy laws.

Thanks for the responses.
He didn’t forget to pass them out,
I agree that it’s not something I want to fall on my sword for. However, if this was an isolated abuse of power, that would be one thing, but it’s not.
Since this isn’t a therapy forum, I’ll cut this short with a second, heartfelt thank you.

There can be legal risks involved for an employer who monitors private mail sent to employees, even when the mail is sent to an employee at the employer’s address. It is not federal mail laws that would be violated but rather state privacy laws.
The postmaster mentioned this, but as others pointed out, I really don’t need to go to war over what seems to most folks as a petty loss. I get tangled up in principles, and it always tends to bite me in the... well....

quincy

The postmaster mentioned this, but as others pointed out, I really don’t need to go to war over what seems to most folks as a petty loss. I get tangled up in principles, and it always tends to bite me in the... well....
Haha. Yes. It can be important to pick your battles at work carefully. This is one that is probably worth just a mental note.

LdiJ

Thanks for the responses.
He didn’t forget to pass them out,
I agree that it’s not something I want to fall on my sword for. However, if this was an isolated abuse of power, that would be one thing, but it’s not.
Since this isn’t a therapy forum, I’ll cut this short with a second, heartfelt thank you.
While this is not something to fall on your sword about, if its not an isolated instance, then I would want to know if you ever discussed anything with your union rep? It is possible for a principal to overstep their bounds and I have seen more than one fall afoul of a union contract and end up sanctioned, demoted or even fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">