• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Cat died in Rover.com Pet Sitter Care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sh3cr1tt3rs

I just moved to Utah on the 25th of November and utilized the Rover app to find a pet sitter for my 3 year old cat, Jack. During this time, he was okay and in great health. I didn't receive daily updates as I requested, but I didn't take it to heart. On December 11th, I was told he wasn't doing super well. We went to see him and he was meowing like he was having a problem pooping. At midnight that night, I called emergency vets asking for potential solutions. They stated it sounded like he was either having abandonment issues or intentional issues and to get him grass to help his dietary aid. On my birthday, December 12th, she said he was laying by his food and wasn't eating or drinking, and would eat the grass but she got him to give her purrs. Nothing about his bathroom habits were mentioned. On December 13th, we got the call to rush to get him to a vet. It took 20 minutes to get there. He was lifeless when we grabbed him from her. She claimed to have given him cpr and that she could hear his heartbeat, but it was faint. I couldn't hear it. I gave him cpr and mouth to mouth resuscitation in hopes to save his life. The vet said he was already gone before we arrived to the clinic 10 minutes after rushing to get him. Rover is not offering to cover cremation costs due to us paying cash. We only communicated through the Rover app. I wouldn't have found her if it wasn't for the app. Should I get an attorney involved? No amount of money is going to bring my baby back into my arms. Christmas for my 7 year son is ruined because he lost his best friend who was only 3 years old. The vet said to contact Rover or a lawyer but I don't have enough money to pay for a lawyer. My whole world was flipped upside-down because of this.

sh3cr1tt3rs

We only communicated using Rover. I found her through Rover. Rover should at least cover the measly $189 for his cremation since it was their sitter and their platform that was used solely outside of a cash payment. I want a lawyer or an attorneys opinion.

adjusterjack

Rover should at least cover the measly $189 for his cremation
No. The cremation was your choice. You could have found less costly way of disposing of the remains, like burying the cat in the back yard. No, I'm not being callous. In my lifetime I have buried several beloved pets in my back yards.

And unless somebody's "provable" negligence caused the death of your cat, you don't get any money.

Just Blue

We only communicated using Rover. I found her through Rover. Rover should at least cover the measly $189 for his cremation since it was their sitter and their platform that was used solely outside of a cash payment. I want a lawyer or an attorneys opinion.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Was there a necropsy done? If so, what was the cause of death?

Was this a daily sitter you used while at work? Why do you think s/he had something to do with your cats death?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is all a matter of the contract you had. You didn't abide by the contract, so you are not covered by any guarantee from Rover.

sh3cr1tt3rs

Actually, no i couldn't have. I have no yard. I was looking for a home. Burying him anywhere was $700. A cremation was $189. To state that is asinine. But then again, letting a company walk all over you is stupid. I am only asking for a lawyer or an attorneys opinion. Not some random person who thinks just because it's policy doesn't mean it shouldn't be forced to change. My cat died due to someone else's lack of understanding while I was searching for a home for us all. Rover needs to change their policy. End of story. How many animals die in their listed sitters care? I know I'm not the only person to lose a pet. Even with his insurance, it only covered $10. That's the MOST normal insurance covers. Life insurance covers the final office visit, but not the cremation, burial, or anything else. So not only did I pay someone to pretty much kill my damn cat, I'm out more money that I can't afford due to someone's lack of understanding of what constitutes a medical emergency. So go ahead, state I'm shit out of luck. It does NOT change the fact that THEY should CHANGE THEIR POLICIES to cover DEATH!

sh3cr1tt3rs

And even with a "contract", Rover claims any and all issues are solely the owners responsibility. Even IF you go through them, nothing PERIOD will be covered by Rover. I've done enough to know their stupid asinine Policy.

Just Blue

Actually, no i couldn't have. I have no yard. I was looking for a home. Burying him anywhere was $700. A cremation was $189. To state that is asinine. But then again, letting a company walk all over you is stupid. I am only asking for a lawyer or an attorneys opinion. Not some random person who thinks just because it's policy doesn't mean it shouldn't be forced to change. My cat died due to someone else's lack of understanding while I was searching for a home for us all. Rover needs to change their policy. End of story. How many animals die in their listed sitters care? I know I'm not the only person to lose a pet. Even with his insurance, it only covered $10. That's the MOST normal insurance covers. Life insurance covers the final office visit, but not the cremation, burial, or anything else. So not only did I pay someone to pretty much kill my damn cat, I'm out more money that I can't afford due to someone's lack of understanding of what constitutes a medical emergency. So go ahead, state I'm shit out of luck. It does NOT change the fact that THEY should CHANGE THEIR POLICIES to cover DEATH!
I understand that you are upset but, please, don't take it our on the volunteers here.

What did your cat die of?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Again, did you have a necropsy done to determine cause of death?

Just because the cat appeared to be healthy when you dropped her off at the sitters does not mean that the sitter's negligence caused the cat's death.
The cat, as far as you know, was not injured, or deprived of food and water.

Without a necropsy, you have no case against ANYONE. With a necropsy, you might. Or might not. It is possible that the cat would have died of its condition even in your care.

Just Blue

Again, did you have a necropsy done to determine cause of death?

Just because the cat appeared to be healthy when you dropped her off at the sitters does not mean that the sitter's negligence caused the cat's death.
The cat, as far as you know, was not injured, or deprived of food and water.

Without a necropsy, you have no case against ANYONE. With a necropsy, you might. Or might not. It is possible that the cat would have died of its condition even in your care.
The stress of the move and being in a strangers care may have caused it's death. Cat's don't react well to stress. I wish OP had answered my questions before stomping off... I was trying to help. I know what it's like to lose a cat so suddenly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you don't agree with their policies, then don't utilize their service.

quincy

Whether there is any legal recourse depends on facts not yet disclosed or, if the cat has already been cremated, no longer available.

There can be all sorts of reasons for the death of an animal that has nothing at all to do with the care the pet receives.

Mass_Shyster

I don't have enough money to pay for a lawyer.
I want a lawyer or an attorneys opinion.
I don't see what rover.com did to cause the death of your cat. They put you in touch with a cat sitter, that's all.

You also haven't alleged that the cat sitter did anything to cause the death of your cat. In fact, she said she did CPR in an attempt to prevent the cat's death.

You said you can't afford a lawyer, but you want the opinion of a lawyer. I don't to property damage cases, I don't practice in Utah, and I don't give advice to non-clients (per my insurance).

I will state a few facts:

Your "damages" appear to be $189. I seriously doubt any lawyer is interested in taking your case to recover $189.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">