• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My child wants more time with me...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Hi, I'm from CA.

I recently got a court order which gave me 30% time and the other parent 70%. I was very happy with it. But my child now seems to badly want more time with me. My child is 7 years old. I know they don't take the child's views into account until they are 12, but my question is... I plan to wait a while and then eventually go for 50/50. Is this a rarity? What are the chances? Should I wait until my child turns 12?

Also, my job is changing soon. What is the easiest way to modify child support? Is there a way to do it without going to court all the time? Also, I understand that a new law has made wage garnishment mandatory for all child support orders, but 50% of take-home pay is the max. What happens when the garnishment is more than 50%? What are the chances of being able to pay support directly? (Garnishment is hard because I am an independent contractor and I switch jobs often.) I appreciate all your comments...




more time?

Hi Pony1,
I have replied to one of your other posts before.I am in Va. I know what you mean about more time.My husband and I get his son(6yrs.old) every other weekend and holidays,vacations,but it doesn't seem like enough.Especially when his son wants to be here with us and cries when we have to take him back to his mom's.The first thing he asks when we call him is "when are you coming to get me"and then he gets upset when we say "not until the weekend".We had to take his mom back to court because she wasn't allowing the court ordered visitation and then we asked for more time and we got it.It is alot more than what we had.You just need to go back infront of the judge and tell him exactly what "more time" you want and if you are lucky you'll get it.As to the c/s wage garnishment is done by what you make and if your pay changes you need to inform the court or DCSE(whoever it is going through)and they can set it up based on a few paystubs or even your yearly tax forms,doing it with your taxes would be best for you,I know alot of people in construction that do it that way.Check with a lawyer(I'm not one)and maybe he can give you free advice on how to do all this based on the laws of the state you are in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential