• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my child's birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mharris0727

What is the name of your state? texas

my 1st child's birth certificate does not list me as the father even though he has my last name. the mother and I are now divorced and I am just now finding this out as a result of my company's insurance provider is requiring a birth certificate for child dependants. I do not question whether or not he is my child but what is involved in getting this corrected. is it my responsibility or should it be my ex-wifes???? I'm required to pay child support and health insurance for a child that I'm not listed as the father. Please help!!!!!

JETX

How old is this child?? Do you know what the original application said (in other words, is this omission a typo on the part of the county clerk)?? If so, simply contact the clerk and ask them to correct it.

If your wife purposely left your parental relationship off of the certificate, I would suggest you consider getting DNA testing done before you spend years paying child support.

M

mharris0727

she intially she it was an error, then came back to state that she did it on purpose because she did not know if I was going to stick around. I know in my heart he is my child and I will not put him through that. you make it sound so easy to make the change. Do I make this call to the county clerk or does the ex-wife?????

JETX

No, I did NOT make it sound easy to make a change on a birth certificate. In fact, it is complex and requires a court order.

I did say that it MIGHT be easy if it was found to be a typo.

Do a search on this forum for Texas birth certificates. I gave some advice on the process just in the last week or so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">