• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My child's father is an addict

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hopeful34

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

If anyone could lend me some helpful advice regarding my situation I would greatly appreciate it. I plea that people not post judgmental comments as they will not help me be a better mother, they wont help anything. I've made a great deal of mistakes in my life and I am fully aware of them now.

I have a son from a previous relationship. His father and I have a court agreement in place already. We don't have any issues.
I knew about my daughter's addiction before she was even conceived. I didn't purposely try to have a baby, I didn't even want to have relations, but I was weak and irresponsible so I ended up with another baby. Around the time that she was conceived, my then boyfriend quit his job. He hasn't held down a stable job since.

I developed cancer while carrying our daughter. Three weeks after she was born I started chemo. While on chemo he had stolen prescription pain meds from me at least twice. He has also stolen money from me at least once, and attempted to steal again at least once. A year later while I was off of chemo, he stole prescription pain meds from my dad. He had been living at my parents house with me and the kids when he stole from my dad. About a month later he was kicked out.

At this point he is living with his grandparents. The biggest concern I have with him is that if and when he takes too many pills or combines them with other particular pills, he becomes quite drowsy and lethargic, and will fall asleep. Our daughter is currently 2 and so she needs constant supervision. Within the past month he stole some things from his grandparents, has gotten a prescription for suboxone but has also been frequently visiting a house where, according to HIM, people deal drugs. He took our daughter over there recently. I told him I didn't want her over there. He didn't say much to that, and I noticed he took her over there again a few days ago.

Tonight I noticed some of my prescription Vicodin is missing. I confronted him about it, he says he didn't take any. I have no evidence but I wouldn't be surprised if he took it to sell it.

So I am at a point where I realize I have screwed up big time. I dated a guy who I knew was an addict. Let him be around my son. Had a baby with him. Let him take our daughter unsupervised. I'm currently going through chemo again as my cancer has spread to my lungs so I'm even more worried. I need to know if there's anything I can do to mitigate the damage I have caused.

Is there anything I can do legally to help protect my daughter? Her father does love her but I don't think he has any real interest in overcoming his addiction. He's still not behaving responsibly.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

If anyone could lend me some helpful advice regarding my situation I would greatly appreciate it. I plea that people not post judgmental comments as they will not help me be a better mother, they wont help anything. I've made a great deal of mistakes in my life and I am fully aware of them now.

I have a son from a previous relationship. His father and I have a court agreement in place already. We don't have any issues.
I knew about my daughter's addiction before she was even conceived. .
Care to clarify?:eek::eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">