• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Debt Card likely was hacked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I do already plan on calling them Monday. What can I expect, I lost around 200 bucks. Will they likely reimburse me? I conformed fraud a little while ago with my card issuer.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I do already plan on calling them Monday. What can I expect, I lost around 200 bucks. Will they likely reimburse me? I conformed fraud a little while ago with my card issuer.
Immediately cancel your debit card. Do not wait to do this.

You can have your bank issue you a new card with new number. Choose a PIN number that is unlikely to be guessed, and do not share your information or your card with anyone, or lose track of your card.

You will have to ask your bank if you can get the money reimbursed but there is generally no protection offered for debit cards. Once money is withdrawn, it’s gone.

Good luck on Monday.

DisabledGeek89

Immediately cancel your debit card. Do not wait to do this.

You can have your bank issue you a new card with new number. Choose a PIN number that is unlikely to be guessed, and do not share your information or your card with anyone, or lose track of your card.

You will have to ask your bank if you can get the money reimbursed but there is generally no protection offered for debit cards. Once money is withdrawn, it’s gone.

Good luck on Monday.
Already have had them freeze the card. Also I use a Credit Union thanks to my Father being in one.

quincy

Already have had them freeze the card. Also I use a Credit Union thanks to my Father being in one.
Okay. Then you have done what you needed to do to prevent further withdrawals. Good. You will have to wait to see what your bank says Monday about your loss. And, if you know who used your card without your permission, you could sue to recover the money.

DisabledGeek89

Okay. Then you have done what you needed to do to prevent further withdrawals. Good. You will have to wait to see what your bank says Monday about your loss. And, if you know who used your card without your permission, you could sue to recover the money.
Alright, could I get extra for damages?

DisabledGeek89

Well if I don't get my money back, I am in trouble my consolidated credit loan is up on the 15th. I will have to figure this out. I reckon I will have to call Consolidated Credit and ask them what I can do.

quincy

Well if I don't get my money back, I am in trouble my consolidated credit loan is up on the 15th. I will have to figure this out. I reckon I will have to call Consolidated Credit and ask them what I can do.
That’s certainly an option to consider.

DisabledGeek89

I hope I can defer my payment worse comes to worst, maybe add it the end of the pay cycle added another month of payments to the end. I have a very fragile budget. So does my household. I am in no emotional condition to work, I have a lot of depressive episodes that cause me to shut down mentally. Now on top of that my anxiety is through the roof. We do have family friends with money, me and my Father might have to talk to them about paying my debt off so that is one less thing to worry about. (I talked about it in a previous thread it would not touch my bank account if this happened) I will hope for the best. One other question, how soon would I need to file for bankruptcy for it to take effect before the 15th? Also sorry for the loaded post.

quincy

I hope I can defer my payment worse comes to worst, maybe add it the end of the pay cycle added another month of payments to the end. I have a very fragile budget. So does my household. I am in no emotional condition to work, I have a lot of depressive episodes that cause me to shut down mentally. Now on top of that my anxiety is through the roof. We do have family friends with money, me and my Father might have to talk to them about paying my debt off so that is one less thing to worry about. (I talked about it in a previous thread it would not touch my bank account if this happened) I will hope for the best. One other question, how soon would I need to file for bankruptcy for it to take effect before the 15th? Also sorry for the loaded post.
A bankruptcy filed now would stop collection efforts. You can speak with an attorney in your area to see if bankruptcy is the best option for you. It might not be, especially if you have a single debt and think you can work out a satisfactory payment arrangement/deferred payment with your creditor.

A single $200 unauthorized withdrawal from your bank account should not have placed you in a position where bankruptcy is necessary.

Speak to your bank tomorrow and go from there.

quincy

DisabledGeek89 has a history on this forum which, if his previous threads are reviewed, can fill in some blanks for responders to this thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">