• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My deceased Father had a small group life insurance policy 100% to spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kecochra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My deceased Father had a small group life insurance policy and the insurance company contacted me. I filled out the affidavit, faxed it back and never heard from the insurance company. I called them and they gave 100% to spouse that was listed on his death certificate.

He (was unaware?) he had this policy from a company he worked for before I was born. NO BENEFICIARIES WERE LISTED.

Spouse was married to him for 5 years before his death.
my question:

Why not 50%/50% split between me and spouse? She wasn't listed as a beneficiary either, and I'm a blood relative. There was no Will stating the spouse should get 100%

I know the beneficiary order is: spouse, kids, parents...etc.

If I have any legal right to 1/2, could I take the insurance company to court and sue for 1/2 the amount and punitive damages?

Any good advice is appreciated!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not have a legal right to any portion of it. Since no beneficiaries were listed, it goes to his estate and/or his next of kin. That is his legal spouse.

anteater

Have you asked the company why the proceeds were paid to the surviving spouse?

I would bet that the policy specifies the default beneficiaries if the insured fails to designate a beneficiary. And I would bet that a surviving spouse is the first default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">