• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dogs attacked neighbors kitten. What do I do? URGENT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfbben

What is the name of your state? California

My neighbor got a kitten. The kitten slipped through the fence between our backyards. My dogs immediately went and attacked the kitten. I got them to release it. My neighbor wasn't home. Only his 15 year old kid who was staying home sick from school. So I drove the kitten to the closest vet while she called her parents. The vet said the kitten needed surgery and refused to work on the it unless I gave him some form of payment. I didn't want to give him my card because his estimate was very expensive. He told me it would likely be several thousand dollars and the kitten might not make it.

So, now I am in the parking lot with the kitten wondering what to do. Will I get in trouble for not paying for cat to have surgery since my dogs injured it? I know that the kitten was from the pound so the price of the kitten is probably way less than the cost of the kitten. I tried calling my neighbor, but he's not answering. I know it sounds cruel, but is it better for me to just let the kitten pass away. The surgery bills are just too much for me though.

PayrollHRGuy

You should contact them and let them decide what to do with the cat. You aren't to blame. They should have kept their cat in their yard.

adjusterjack

Will I get in trouble for not paying for cat to have surgery since my dogs injured it?
No. I don't see where you have any legal liability for the injury to the cat. This may seem callous, and I would say it for any pet. Do not give the vet any money. Do not commit to the treatment.

Leave the kitten and the owner's phone number with the pet and go home.

dfbben

No. I don't see where you have any legal liability for the injury to the cat. This may seem callous, and I would say it for any pet. Do not give the vet any money. Do not commit to the treatment.

Leave the kitten and the owner's phone number with the pet and go home.
The vet won't let me leave the kitten.

adjusterjack

Do I just leave it with his daughter?
Yes.

Or take it to the pound or humane society.

This is not your fault. Cats don't obey rules. They don't acknowledge boundaries. They go wherever they want. They squeeze through small spaces and climb over fences. It was the responsibility of the owner to keep the cat under control.

And you're right. The law treats pets as property, like a TV set. The cat's value would be the cost of the fee that was charged at the pound.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">