• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dogs on a leash got into a fight with neighbors dog off leash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joelle m

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was walking my two pitbulls like I do all the time on my street . They have been around children and all types of animals since they were puppies have never been aggressive. In fact they were around my friends dogs the weekend before. I see my neighbors door open and her boxer run Out of her house directly charging us . I froze . I didn't want to start running in fear that it would chase us. the dog runs up right into my dogs faces immediately a dogfight . At this point they are all 3 fighting. Because of all the chaos And being an animal lover i try to break it up. My male dog let goand then it is just the two female dogs . It finally gets broken up . At this point we called animal control and they come out and do a report. That dog charged at me and my dogs! My dogs were Provoked or protecting me . They did not know this dog and it came up so fast not in a friendly manner. The boxer did go to the vet and treated so did my dogs. My neighbor wants me to pay for their vet bill! And suing me!! I was doing was walking my dogs on a leash. Now because their dog was injured because my dogs reacted to a loose dog coming after me. Who is at fault?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was walking my two pitbulls like I do all the time on my street . They have been around children and all types of animals since they were puppies have never been aggressive. In fact they were around my friends dogs the weekend before. I see my neighbors door open and her boxer run Out of her house directly charging us . I froze . I didn't want to start running in fear that it would chase us. the dog runs up right into my dogs faces immediately a dogfight . At this point they are all 3 fighting. Because of all the chaos And being an animal lover i try to break it up. My male dog let goand then it is just the two female dogs . It finally gets broken up . At this point we called animal control and they come out and do a report. That dog charged at me and my dogs! My dogs were Provoked or protecting me . They did not know this dog and it came up so fast not in a friendly manner. The boxer did go to the vet and treated so did my dogs. My neighbor wants me to pay for their vet bill! And suing me!! I was doing was walking my dogs on a leash. Now because their dog was injured because my dogs reacted to a loose dog coming after me. Who is at fault?
The at fault person should be the person who negligently allowed their dog to be loose and attack other dogs. Have you actually been served paperwork for a small claims suit?

Joelle m

Yes they are suing me animal control seized my dogs and I have to go to court in three weeks to Tried to fight the case I hired a lawyer he did absolutely nothing and if I lose the case it’s going to cost $4000 to get the dogs out a lot because a neighbor let her dog out of the house

LdiJ

Yes they are suing me animal control seized my dogs and I have to go to court in three weeks to Tried to fight the case I hired a lawyer he did absolutely nothing and if I lose the case it’s going to cost $4000 to get the dogs out a lot because a neighbor let her dog out of the house
Ok, you forgot to mention that part and that part is really important. If Animal Control seized your dogs then Animal Control has considered your dogs as the aggressors and that shines an entirely different light on things.

Joelle m

Ok, you forgot to mention that part and that part is really important. If Animal Control seized your dogs then Animal Control has considered your dogs as the aggressors and that shines an entirely different light on things.
The problem is he did not witness the ordeal he stated bc the dog was injured more than mine .. it is all here say .. I have proof it occurred when the dog ran out to the street to fight my dogs ...And provoked them ...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You may also want to check your town's dangerous dog laws. Several NJ towns mention pitties specifically.

adjusterjack

The problem is he did not witness the ordeal he stated bc the dog was injured more than mine .. it is all here say .. I have proof it occurred when the dog ran out to the street to fight my dogs ...And provoked them ...
Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? If yes, report this to your insurance company and see if there is any help there. If you don't have insurance, it's unfortunate, but this is going to cost you a bundle to defend yourself and your dogs.

Since you have already been sued (served a summons and complaint) have you at least countersued for the injuries to your dogs?

Anyway, read up on NJ's dog laws:

https://dogbitelaw.com/statutory-strict-liability-state/new-jersey-dog-bite-law

quincy

What do you mean by your statement that your lawyer "did nothing?" Did your attorney try to settle out of court with the boxer owner and failed to come to an agreeable settlement?

If the boxer was not under the control of its owner (e.g., it was unleashed and loose), you appear to have good support for arguing that you are not responsible for paying for the boxer's injuries.

Does your community ban ownership of pit bulls? New Jersey state law prohibits the banning of specific breeds of dogs but local laws might still try to prohibit ownership of certain breeds. Local laws that do so can be challenged.

Last edited:

Joelle m

You may also want to check your town's dangerous dog laws. Several NJ towns mention pitties specifically.
I have all the laws and kno them this dog was charging at me my son and dogs aggressive my dogs were provoked and reacted to a threat and became protective. No ban for pits we live in a court with 10 houses and prosecutor directly across from us who is on the neighbors side as well .. if it were a different street none of this would be happening. Trust me .

Joelle m

Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? If yes, report this to your insurance company and see if there is any help there. If you don't have insurance, it's unfortunate, but this is going to cost you a bundle to defend yourself and your dogs.

Since you have already been sued (served a summons and complaint) have you at least countersued for the injuries to your dogs?

Homeowners was in my boyfriends name it’s his house. Dogs were not listed because they came here in the middle of the year.
Also did I mention the first animal Control office told us not to worry . The. Supervisor comes out and it’s. Different outcome based on their side of story only.

Joelle m

My lawyer did NOTHING .. I have grevience filed . Wasted money

Joelle m

No to represent me they are suing and it’s a criminal case ... nice right ... I have to prove that they r not dangerous ... I have faith ..

Eekamouse

No to represent me they are suing and it’s a criminal case ... nice right ... I have to prove that they r not dangerous ... I have faith ..
You still haven't said what your proof is that things happened the way you say they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">