• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My employer deducted one month Premium from my paycheck without my authorization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angellaura92

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I am a former legal secretary seeking legal advice. My previous Employer (an attorney) deducted one month health insurance premium ($235)from my paycheck without my authorization b/c I missed 2 hours during one week (not making the 35 hours for full time status) after I informed him that I would be missing 2 hours of work for personal time. He would not let me make up these hours and informed me that he was deducting the money from my paycheck the following day which happen to be pay day. I am currently in the process in getting my life, health and annuities agent license and discovered that in the State of Florida an Employer can not deduct money from an employee's paycheck without his/her authorization. Is what he did to me illegal or just unethical?

racer72

By not fulfilling the required number of hours to maintain your full time status, you gave permission for the deduction. This is actually a question of the employers policies, not a legal question.

ablessin

agreed. You agreed to work a minimum of 35 hours to be considered a full time employee and if you don't keep up on your end of the contract then you have an obvious penalty.

You didn't have paid vacation or personal time to take that would have kept you at a full time status for the pay period?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">