• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My employer has been deducting my insurance, but I am not insured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My employer has been deducting vision, dental, and medical insurance payments from me all year; but the insurance company tells me I have been uninsured since Jan 1. What can I do about this?

bobru

I just found out about it. I am awaiting their response. I am just wondering if they need to give me back all that money, or do they just "throw the swithch" back on for my insurance, or if I have a say in the matter.

pattytx

If this is a group insurance plan, and pre-tax to boot, such plans are highly regulated. Let us know what they say before we go any further.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am just wondering if they need to give me back all that money, or do they just "throw the swithch" back on for my insurance, or if I have a say in the matter.

They have to do one or the other. It is not your choice which. It may not be their choice which. It's unlikely, though not impossible, that the insurance carrier will accept you retroactively all the way to January. But a lot will depend on how it came about. Did you slip through the cracks and it was an honest administrative error? Or was it a calculated risk on the part of the employer? It makes a difference sometimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">