• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My employer refuses to pay my severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anthonyforensic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I cannot afford a lawyer, but paid one to send a letter to my previous employer of the possibility of a lawsuit if they do not pay the severance. They then filed a TRO based on false information in civil court.

Here is the link to the information.

http://pa.butlercountyclerk.org/pa/pa.urd/pamw2000-o_case_sum?17169947

They are saying the network went down after I left the company and are refusing to pay my severance. I am currently between jobs; (as they have tarnished my reputation by giving false statements to potential employers after the fact). Will most lawyers take the case and bill me at a later date (like in 60 days)?

I was served with a notice to show up for a disposition to turn over my personal laptop and personal cell phone to my previous employer's lawyer so they can see if I accessed the network after my employment ended or kept any passwords. I feel they are doing this to cost me money so I can't sue them. The CFO of the company would rather spend more money in court defending this than to pay me the severance as he wants to hurt me beyond my termination.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I cannot afford a lawyer, but paid one to send a letter to my previous employer of the possibility of a lawsuit if they do not pay the severance. They then filed a TRO based on false information in civil court.
Here is the link to the information.
http://pa.butlercountyclerk.org/pa/pa.urd/pamw2000-o_case_sum?17169947
They are saying the network went down after I left the company and are refusing to pay my severance. I am currently between jobs; (as they have tarnished my reputation by giving false statements to potential employers after the fact). Will most lawyers take the case and bill me at a later date (like in 60 days)?
I was served with a notice to show up for a disposition to turn over my personal laptop and personal cell phone to my previous employer's lawyer so they can see if I accessed the network after my employment ended or kept any passwords. I feel they are doing this to cost me money so I can't sue them. The CFO of the company would rather spend more money in court defending this than to pay me the severance as he wants to hurt me beyond my termination.
Thanks,
I read the original complaint and the amended complaint that were filed against you. This is way more than just a TRO against you. In addition to the TRO they filed a civil complaint against you alleging that you cost them a significant amount of money by messing with their computers, sending defamatory e-mails to various third parties, and publishing a derogatory web site. It would appear that they filed their complaint against you for much more than simply to cost you money so that you can't sue them. You are trying to move against a flowing body of excrement in an elongated floating conveyance without a means of propulsion. You will have to produce the things requested by the plaintiff in discovery or suffer the consequences of court-ordered sanctions. It sounds like the court will soon grant the plaintiff's request for sanctions, including attorneys fees, for your failure to attend their deposition. It sounds to me like they have filed a reasonable compliant against you. You really should try to get an attorney or the court will likely rule in favor of the plaintiff and against you, and you are likely to owe them a lot of money.

BTW, the plaintiff doesn't appear to be any more computer savvy than you (by review of their interactions with the domain name registrar for the offending web site). If they were smart, they would subpoena the domain name registrar for the two web sites that appear to have been instituted from your IP address to find out how they were paid. If you paid for them using your credit card, even if you used fake registration information, then you are in serious trouble. If they are smart, they will subpoena the owner of the IP address and find out who and where it was assigned on the dates that it was used to set up the web sites.

anthonyforensic

website

I read the original complaint and the amended complaint that were filed against you. This is way more than just a TRO against you. In addition to the TRO they filed a civil complaint against you alleging that you cost them a significant amount of money by messing with their computers, sending defamatory e-mails to various third parties, and publishing a derogatory web site. It would appear that they filed their complaint against you for much more than simply to cost you money so that you can't sue them. You are trying to move against a flowing body of excrement in an elongated floating conveyance without a means of propulsion. You will have to produce the things requested by the plaintiff in discovery or suffer the consequences of court-ordered sanctions. It sounds like the court will soon grant the plaintiff's request for sanctions, including attorneys fees, for your failure to attend their deposition. It sounds to me like they have filed a reasonable compliant against you. You really should try to get an attorney or the court will likely rule in favor of the plaintiff and against you, and you are likely to owe them a lot of money.

BTW, the plaintiff doesn't appear to be any more computer savvy than you (by review of their interactions with the domain name registrar for the offending web site). If they were smart, they would subpoena the domain name registrar for the two web sites that appear to have been instituted from your IP address to find out how they were paid. If you paid for them using your credit card, even if you used fake registration information, then you are in serious trouble. If they are smart, they will subpoena the owner of the IP address and find out who and where it was assigned on the dates that it was used to set up the web sites.
I own the actual domain, I admit that. There was nothing on the actual domain except for information from the clerk of courts. There complaint may look valid, but it is not valid. There is no crime in purchasing a domain name and publishing information from the Clerk of Courts. I just posted public information. I am out of money to defend this. Can I get a lawyer based on credit, such as a payment plan or 60 days to pay?

I own the actual domain, I admit that. There was nothing on the actual domain except for information from the clerk of courts. There complaint may look valid, but it is not valid. There is no crime in purchasing a domain name and publishing information from the Clerk of Courts. I just posted public information. I am out of money to defend this. Can I get a lawyer based on credit, such as a payment plan or 60 days to pay?
Even if your setting up the web site doesn't rise to libel (as you appear to be suggesting), it documents what you were willing to do in order to try and discredit this particular individual and your former employer. That lends support to their claim that it was you who sent the e-mails (which may rise to the level of libel and/or blackmail), and that it was you who sabotaged their computers.

I don't know if you can get an attorney to defend you "on credit". Maybe there is someone else on this forum who has some ideas in that regard. Maybe you could get some kind of free legal aid advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">