• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my employer wants to drop me from full time to part time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momto3girls

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My employer came to me last night telling me that because of outside family stress that if i thought that i was getting overwhelmed at work that they could off me a deal where i loose my full time status as a 2nd asst manager and go down to part time hours but keep my same pay rate ? taking this deal would mean that i would get less than 32 hours a week and loose my management status , and in the winter time my employer does not work alot of part timers because when it is cold we just do not do the business that we do in the spring and the summer .. we have been working 2-3 people a shift and they are all full timers ..
can they legally offer me this deal ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course they can. There's nothing even remotely illegal about this.

In fact, unless you have a bona fide contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, they can drop you to part time without your consent.

Unfortunately, in an economy where the DOW has dropped, what is it, 4000 points? in the last few weeks, quite a lot of employers are going to have to make that call. It was generous of your employer to give you a choice; he needn't have done that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">