• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex Girlfriend wants me to pay half of her student loans.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noah cryns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is California

My Ex Girlfriend, we also have a child together, signed for a number of student loans to get through college. The money was used for her schooling as well as general bills in the house we shared. ( She says half was spent on me. So, legally, let's assume she is correct. Even though it's not exactly true. )

She had asked me if I thought she should take the loans, and my answer was always either...."No!" or "It's up to you"

She now wants me to pay half of her loans because we lived together. We are broken up and I pay child support for my child.( I don't think this is relevant, but wanted to mention it )

Question:
Am I responsible for the loans she signed for. I never signed for any loan with my name.
In many ways, I thought it was a gift!

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is California

My Ex Girlfriend, we also have a child together, signed for a number of student loans to get through college. The money was used for her schooling as well as general bills in the house we shared.

She had asked me if I thought she should take the loans, and my answer was always either...."No!" or "It's up to you"

She now wants me to pay half of her loans because we lived together. We are broken up and I pay child support for my child.( I don't think this is relevant, but wanted to mention it )

Question:
Am I responsible for the loans she signed for. I never signed for any loan with my name.
Absolutely not.

Her loans, her debt.

LdiJ

Absolutely not.

Her loans, her debt.
I agree absolutely...on a legal basis.

Whether or not you should on a moral basis depends entirely on facts not currently in evidence...and I wouldn't have even mentioned that except for your choice (the OP's) to use the phrase "In many ways, I thought it was a gift".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">