• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my ex husband tried to sue me for quick money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindamss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

we got divorce more than 3 years ago, now he just got off jail and wanted quick money from me. He claimed I stole his money from his bank account while he was in jail and some silver coins. We only had joint bank account at that time and I put all the money in the account. I bought the silver coins before we married using my check and I didn't remember if he paid me back or not and he didn't claim that coins at the time I file for divorce. Before we got married I paid all the rents and even after marriage. I don't want to deal with him anymore. He didn't know my current address. The total amount he claimed was $1200 I owed. My question is it has been 3 years still he can sue me? I know he doesn't have any money for attorney, if he sue me at small amount claim court? What should I do? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, he can sue you. We really couldn't tell you if he will be successful (nobody can), and we really can't even give you direction until you explain why you took "his" money from the account.

lindamss

Yes, he can sue you. We really couldn't tell you if he will be successful (nobody can), and we really can't even give you direction until you explain why you took "his" money from the account.
I didn't take his money from his bank account. I asked him for proof by email and he said he will give me later. I am sure I didn't take him money from his bank account. Unless he claims all the money in share bank account is his. I closed the bank account while I filed divorce and I don't have any statements left that time.

Zigner

I didn't take his money from his bank account. I asked him for proof by email and he said he will give me later. I am sure I didn't take him money from his bank account. Unless he claims all the money in share bank account is his. I closed the bank account while I filed divorce and I don't have any statements left that time.
At this point, he hasn't sued you, right? A lot of people say "I'm going to sue!" and never actually do.

lindamss

BTW I don't think he has money to hire attorney nor serve me. I have money that he asked for. But I don't want to give him so he can blackmail me later for other stuff. What should I do? :( I am not even a citizen in this country and I don't want to deal the law here.

Zigner

BTW I don't think he has money to hire attorney nor serve me. I have money that he asked for. But I don't want to give him so he can blackmail me later for other stuff. What should I do? :( I am not even a citizen in this country and I don't want to deal the law here.
You've chosen not to pay him, which may be a wise move, but until he sues (if he sues), there's not much else you really can do about this.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
There's no requirement that he hire an attorney for a small claims case. As far as blackmail, does this relate to your presence in this country?

lindamss

There's no requirement that he hire an attorney for a small claims case. As far as blackmail, does this relate to your presence in this country?
I googled small claim cases that I know he don't need attorney. My status in US is working visa and has nothing to do with him. But I recently will apply for resident card due to marriage. I don't want to have any legal problem during this period.

lindamss

I googled small claim cases that I know he don't need attorney. My status in US is working visa and has nothing to do with him. But I recently will apply for resident card due to marriage. I don't want to have any legal problem during this period.
And also the reason my ex husband was in jail is for theft. I don't know if this gonna affect the credit of his suing me or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">