• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex left the state and is making me give the kids to his friends. CA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mommy01072616

I am located in CA. My ex was awarded full physical custody of our children. He immediately broke the court order and for about 6 months we've shared 50/50 on our own terms. He left the state for work about a week ago. He'll be gone for 18 months. But because he has full custody he is demanding I relinquish our kids to his friends on "his days". So I'll now be sharing custody of my kids with his friends for a year and a half. I don't know my rights or what I do and don't have to do. I don't know if because he has full custody I have to give my our kids to his friends. I don't know what steps to take next as far as going to court or anything (he will not give me an address for where he's staying, but he has admitted that he's out of the state and doesn't know when he's coming back). Please. I need to know what to do next and what I do and don't have to do. The kids are currently with me but he's making me give them to his friends in a couple days.

t74

Get an attorney tomorrow. You admit you do not understand the process and the learning curve can take a long time. You need to address this immediately. Borrow to pay for the attorney if necessary.

How do you think he can "make" you give the children to his friends?

Others may be able to give you advice as what you can expect but you post is relatively vague as to the actual orders. Be sure to list the type of legal custody and current visitation specified.

Mommy01072616

Get an attorney tomorrow. You admit you do not understand the process and the learning curve can take a long time. You need to address this immediately. Borrow to pay for the attorney if necessary.

How do you think he can "make" you give the children to his friends?

Others may be able to give you advice as what you can expect but you post is relatively vague as to the actual orders. Be sure to list the type of legal custody and current visitation specified.
Our actual order is that he has full physical custody and we have shared legal custody. I just don't know that if I don't do what he says, since he has full custody technically, that it won't look bad on me in court when we do go back.

CdwJava

Does the order indicate anything specifically about where the children are to live? If he has full physical custody, does it spell out that he must be home? Are there any other conditions?

How often do you have visitation with the children?

You really should consult an attorney. If one or both of you are failing to adhere to the terms of the custody order this can get one or both of you in trouble with the court.

t74

How do you think he could "make" you release the children to his friends?

Surely, you are not planning to just allow them to leave with someone who comes to you door saying their dad sent them when you know he is not in town. Does the order specify anything about who is allowed to transport the children? Some require the receiving PARENT to do the exchange while some allow third parties while some do not specify or limit.

How old are the children?

LdiJ

I am located in CA. My ex was awarded full physical custody of our children. He immediately broke the court order and for about 6 months we've shared 50/50 on our own terms. He left the state for work about a week ago. He'll be gone for 18 months. But because he has full custody he is demanding I relinquish our kids to his friends on "his days". So I'll now be sharing custody of my kids with his friends for a year and a half. I don't know my rights or what I do and don't have to do. I don't know if because he has full custody I have to give my our kids to his friends. I don't know what steps to take next as far as going to court or anything (he will not give me an address for where he's staying, but he has admitted that he's out of the state and doesn't know when he's coming back). Please. I need to know what to do next and what I do and don't have to do. The kids are currently with me but he's making me give them to his friends in a couple days.
He cannot force you to give the children to his friends. Do not do it. Immediately file in court to modify custody based on the fact that he has moved out of state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">