• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My exhusband passed away the car is in my name & his new wife -widow wont give it back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

The person holding the car won't even let the OP see the car without the OP handing over the title or the money.
Yeah, the widow is clearly pretty dumb if she thinks that anyone is going to hand over the title or the money without seeing the car. Its not like she has any real leverage. She can't sell the car without the title and nobody is going to give her 15k without seeing the car. I am still guessing that its in not too horrible condition since I would bet just about anything that she already has a buyer line up who is willing to pay 15k.

quincy

Well aware of that. My point was in response to LdiJ's that it wasn't likely. If this car has been sitting for 30 years it isn't just possible that is a POS it is a likelihood.
Not necessarily. If kept in a solid (closed, no leaks) garage for 30 years, it might be in remarkably good condition.

quincy

OP needs to call the cops
I think LostCar should notify the widow that she, a tow company and the police will be at the garage on X date at approximately X time to retrieve the vehicle.

LostCar will want to make arrangements in advance of the notification and will want to be armed with the title to the car.

There are several old Minis for sale that have been nicely restored.
I served my apprenticeship on British Leyland cars, including the mini. They were years ahead of there time as they had a built in engine oil level check. If it stopped leaking oil, it needed topping up :)
The mini was junk to begin with, sliding windows, a cable instead of a handle to open the doors, starter solenoid in the floor that you pressed directly, bad engine ground cable that when it broke all the battery current went through the choke cable to ground (smoke and fire ensued from under the dashboard), suspension was rubber balls not springs. The list goes on.

quincy

I served my apprenticeship on British Leyland cars, including the mini. They were years ahead of there time as they had a built in engine oil level check. If it stopped leaking oil, it needed topping up :)
The mini was junk to begin with, sliding windows, a cable instead of a handle to open the doors, starter solenoid in the floor that you pressed directly, bad engine ground cable that when it broke all the battery current went through the choke cable to ground (smoke and fire ensued from under the dashboard), suspension was rubber balls not springs. The list goes on.
They can fetch a pretty penny now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">