• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my fathers life ruined by insuarance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

doobie

ohio my father is terminally ill.in may, he was in a home under hospice care.my stepmother and her daughter had placed a call to his insuarance agent,wanting to find out his beneficiary info.this is all confedential information or so we thought.he even sent a letter to the agency a few years ago,stating no matter what do not release any infomation to my wife.the agency gave all of his information to his wife over the phone.the agency verified the benef.info,amount and even had them to send a new form with his wife being 100%benef.of his policy.my oldest sister is and has been soul beneficiary.after the form was received,for changing,my father would not sign.his wife has left him over this ordeal.he his still living at the present time,but he has been put through alot of mental distress.i beleive the insurance company has made a big mistake.please respond and let me know of legal actions we should take.thank you for your time.

ALawyer

First, get your father to immediately complete his estate planning, and if he does not have one, to do a Will and name beneficiaries on the life insurance, IRAs, etc.

He should designate the executor and beneficiaries he wants, NOW, if he is still mentally competent. I'd URGE you to get a lawyer to assist you with this as very often there are challenges made on the basis of competence or undue influence when changes are made or documents signed at the end, and lawyers know how to get good proof of competence and lack of undue influence to defeat those who may later question things.

As far as the agent not listening to your father's instructions, I can't say, but I really doubt that this will create any significant recovery for him or his estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">