• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My fiancé is being charged with domestic violence against me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proserpina

Personal opinions not need it thanks

Those come for free. Added bonus. That sort of thing.

my children are just fine and there's nothing going on people have arguments anyone in a relationship marriage can understand that thanks for the help though
Your children are just fine...

...yet your daughter felt scared enough to involve other adults? Doesn't really support your claim, now does it?

Yeap, people have arguments. Most people though, don't have arguments in the ER which end up with an arrest. Seriously.

In fact, we can do a poll.

Others:

Raise your hand if you've had an argument so severe it resulted in one of you being arrested?

(my hands are not raised)

davew128

In fact, we can do a poll.

Others:

Raise your hand if you've had an argument so severe it resulted in one of you being arrested?

(my hands are not raised)
I will only say that in having been involved with a mentally ill person, that she would scream hysterically and cause public disturbances that attracted police in what would otherwise by disagreements amongst adults who would normally attempt to work out a solution.

quincy

We know what he needs to do I'm trying to find out if there is anything I can do honestly I want to press harassment charges or something along those lines on the prosecutor they are ruining our life my fiancé has lost two jobs because of this matter we are behind on our bills getting eviction notices and shut off notices our children are upset because their dad is not at home is there anything I can do
Unfortunately, angelicdreamer, there is little you can do for your fiancé except, perhaps, try to find for him an attorney in your area who has experience with domestic violence charges.

The state of Michigan has a lot of resources available for those who are victims of domestic violence but very few resources available for those who are accused of domestic violence, falsely or otherwise. The best resource for these individuals is an attorney who will try to get the charges dismissed or, at the very least, who will work to get the accused the best possible outcome based on the facts presented.

With domestic violence charges comes an automatic temporary restraining order against the person charged. I am sure that your fiancé is suffering like you and your family are from the restrictions placed on him. And, if the call to the police that resulted in your fiancé's arrest was based on a misunderstanding, on a misinterpretation of an argument and the reactions to it by a child, this can be especially hard.

I understand that your fiancé has a court-appointed attorney - and the court-appointed attorney probably has a lot of experience and is probably a well-qualified attorney. What the court-appointed attorney probably won't have is a lot of time to devote to your fiancé's defense. Public defenders in Michigan often have large caseloads that limit their ability to spend much time with each client.

Although the following links are to victim resources, you might find some help in your area for either you or your fiancé. I suggest you make a few calls. At the very least, by calling some of the victim resource numbers, you could locate some help with your bills and other living expenses while the legal issue is being resolved.

Michigan Legal Help: http://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/protection-from-abuse/overview-domestic-violence

Berrien County: http://berriencounty.org/Courts/DomesticViolenceCourt

Berrien County: http://berriencounty.org/ProsecutingAttorney/victimresources

Michigan Coalition to End Domestic & Sexual Violence (MCEDSV):
http://www.mcedsv.org/help/find-help-in-michigan.html

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">