• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My friend got a title loan. Lost job. Quit paying loan. Hiding from repossesion guy. Legal consequences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tpatzo

What is the name of your state?minnesota

My friend is in Minnesota. She got a car loan. Lost her job stopped paying insurance & stopped paying for the loan. The loan place is calling her mom to have her return the car. She's refusing to return it. The car place don't have her updated address as she's moved. She still lives in Minnesota but like 30 miles away. I don't know if she plans on turning it over or not. She's already on felony probation for a theft of a credit card 1,000. I'm scared they will charge her with theft of the car & I'm sure that's a felony. I am currently in Arizona. I'm going to try to knock some sense into her before she gets into some serious trouble. What are your opinions on this subject. I don't know allot about this subject that's y I'm asking here.

I'm not sure if she's the signer or the co signer. I don't think it matters. Her bf is one of the people that did the signing as well.

quincy

What is the name of your state?minnesota

My friend is in Minnesota. She got a car loan. Lost her job stopped paying insurance & stopped paying for the loan. The loan place is calling her mom to have her return the car. She's refusing to return it. The car place don't have her updated address as she's moved. She still lives in Minnesota but like 30 miles away. I don't know if she plans on turning it over or not. She's already on felony probation for a theft of a credit card 1,000. I'm scared they will charge her with theft of the car & I'm sure that's a felony. I am currently in Arizona. I'm going to try to knock some sense into her before she gets into some serious trouble. What are your opinions on this subject. I don't know allot about this subject that's y I'm asking here.

I'm not sure if she's the signer or the co signer. I don't think it matters. Her bf is one of the people that did the signing as well.
I am not sure what you are looking for here. You can tell her to return the car but beyond that there is little you can do.

quincy

If this is the same friend from Minnesota that Tpatzo has written about in the past, Tpatzo really needs to stop trying to rescue her from her continued bad choices.

Tpatzo

If this is the same friend from Minnesota that Tpatzo has written about in the past, Tpatzo really needs to stop trying to rescue her from her continued bad choices.
yup. Your right Minnesota friend that's on felony probation for theft of credit card. Yup that's her. She can't seam to do stuff correctly

Just Blue

yup. Your right Minnesota friend that's on felony probation for theft of credit card. Yup that's her. She can't seam to do stuff correctly
Oh. That friend. Call and tell her you need her address to send her a Christmas card...then give address to the loan company. That woman needs to spend some time in jail/prison to learn a lesson. And I'm sure she is driving the car without insurance and may, at some point, have an accident which would really suck for the poor person she hits. Really. By ratting on her you would be doing the rest of humanity a solid. :cool:

adjusterjack

MN Statute 609.62 DEFEATING SECURITY ON PERSONALTY.
Subdivision 1.Definition.
In this section "security interest" means an interest in property which secures payment or other performance of an obligation.
Subdivision 2.Acts constituting.
Whoever, with intent to defraud, does any of the following may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than three years or to payment of a fine of not more than $6,000, or both:
(1) conceals, removes, or transfers any personal property in which the actor knows that another has a security interest; or
(2) being an obligor and knowing the location of the property refuses to disclose the same to an obligee entitled to possession thereof.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.62

She's violating her probation by committing a crime.

She needs to turn in the car or she'll be in prison (on both charges) where she won't need one.

xylene

Title loans are sensibly illegal in states that don't allow usury.

You don't need to be agent of an exploitative business to do right legally or morally.

I would suggest you cease contact with this horrible "friend" - who is surely looking to exploit YOU.

quincy

The more involved Tpatzo becomes in the crimes of the friend, the more likely Tpatzo is to find him/herself being investigated by the police.

It is best for Tpatzo to sever all ties with the Minnesota friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">