• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My friend in prison wants to give me POA to gamble in his name so he has more money when he gets out of prison...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heebiejeebie94

New Jersey

My friend is incarcerated in Washington state but he is getting transferred to a NJ prison this month. He wants to give me power of attorney so that I can:
1. cash out his online currency
2. sign up for a sports gambling app in his name and place bets on sports teams that he tells me
In an effort to have some more money when he gets released from prison.

I have no idea if this is legal and I have so many questions. I don't know anything about POA.
Is it legal to gamble from prison through an app through another person? Is it legal for me to sign up for a gambling app under another person's name?
Is this risky and should I just say no? I feel bad for him because he has no money besides this small amount of online currency for when he gets released but I do not want to do anything illegal.

Thank you

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Following up on what Jack said: one of the risks in gambling is losing money.

You incarcerated friend will not be happy if he loses money based on the bets you place on his behalf... even if you place bets exclusively at his direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">