• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my friend is in an abusive relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friendtotheend

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My friend lives with her boyfriend, and when they first started going out, he started abusing her, a little physically and a lot emotionally (she's a recovering anorexic and he would tell her she's fat and stuff, she wanted to starve herself again), but she went to a doctor and talked to her boyfriend and he said he'd stop... and he did, for a while, but I told her he would start again. She didn't listen.... well, a few months went by with not much other than some emotional abuse, but recently - in the last month - he started abusing her again, physically. nothing too bad, yet, but it seems to get worse... she has bruises and she's scared, she keeps saying she doesn't want to be with him, but she's so attached that she can't break up with him, he lives with her. He breaks her things when he gets angry and yells at her, they've wrestled and ended up hurting each other. I don't know how to help her, she doesn't listen to advice, she just wants sympathy and I don't know anymore if giving repeated sympathy is good for her. She needs help, but I can't force her to get help. I care about her a lot and I don't know what to do to help her anymore.

pojo2

In addition once helped do not be surprised she returns right back to that relationship or one exactly like it!

You can only be there to pick up pieces which of course enables her to boldly go where no woman ought to, right back home to boyfriend!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until she hits rock bottom and is ready and willing to leave, there's little you can do to help her.

seniorjudge

stealth2 said:
Until she hits rock bottom and is ready and willing to leave, there's little you can do to help her.
I disagree.

Until she hits rock bottom and is ready and willing to leave, there's nothing you can do to help her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">