• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My friend legally doesn't exist.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clarke123

So my friend revealed to me that he has no Social Security number. Why? Because he had a home birth instead of a hospital one, and his father was an alternative medicine doctor. He had a birth certificate, but his father is deceased, as well as the midwife.
He's 21, and is unable to get a job or get a driver's license because technically, he doesn't even exist.
I just don't want him to not be able to do anything because he can't legally do much of anything.
He doesn't really have any legal paperwork either.
How can I help him?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So my friend revealed to me that he has no Social Security number. Why? Because he had a home birth instead of a hospital one, and his father was an alternative medicine doctor. He had a birth certificate, but his father is deceased, as well as the midwife.
So what happened with that birth certificate? Has your friend checked the Washington Department of Health to see if the birth certificate is available there? If he had a birth certificate it should have been submitted to the Department of Heath for recording. If he's not done that, then that's a good place to start.

He should also check with Social Security. It's quite likely that he has a SSN even if he doesn't have the card. In order for his parents or guardian to claim the dependent exemption and other tax benefits for him they needed to have a SSN for him. It would be the rare parents who would object to SSNs for the kids so strongly that they'd pass up the tax benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">