• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My friend's landlord (in Colorado) moved into her fully rented house and won't leave. Please help, urgent advice needed!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Centennial, Colorado

Alright so, I have a good friend over in Centennial, Colorado with a family and here is the situation. She's asked around, had to call the police before (when arriving they told her they can't help), and is at a loss for what to do at this point, but really something needs to be done. I'm going to post here and look around, but any and all advice from someone in the know would be wildly appreciated.

She leased a house back in July to a landlord for a year, had all the documents signed, the regular paperwork and deposits in. The landlord was supposed to move out and change states. Apparently his job fell through so he told her he was moving into the basement. There were no legal documents or anything signed, it was a decision he made and not her, and to be polite she told him he could stay there temporarily, as in a few weeks.

The thing is...he didn't leave. He didn't make a new contract. She still has to pay rent. And has been harassing her and her family relentlessly about everything, even at times being physically violent (in which the cops were called). He also has difficult to control pets, and is basically intimidating her into living like this since the summer. She can't move places in the market currently, doesn't have the best credit, and has been stuck there with her kids for some time now just trying to deal with this and not knowing how to move forward.

Anyways, here's a copy of her lease with all personal info marked out, here's really hoping someone can offer her some advice. She is currently planning on meeting with someone, but frankly does not particularly have the money she needs to hire a lawyer.

Here's the lease in question, with personal details omitted. I had to change it to photos and throw it up on paint from word, due to possibly being marked as spam.

Even if you guys could send us over to a site or somewhere else where we can get the proper advice, it'd be seriously appreciated.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Centennial, Colorado

Alright so, I have a good friend over in Centennial, Colorado with a family and here is the situation. She's asked around, had to call the police before (when arriving they told her they can't help), and is at a loss for what to do at this point, but really something needs to be done. I'm going to post here and look around, but any and all advice from someone in the know would be wildly appreciated.

She leased a house back in July to a landlord for a year, had all the documents signed, the regular paperwork and deposits in. The landlord was supposed to move out and change states. Apparently his job fell through so he told her he was moving into the basement. There were no legal documents or anything signed, it was a decision he made and not her, and to be polite she told him he could stay there temporarily, as in a few weeks.

The thing is...he didn't leave. He didn't make a new contract. She still has to pay rent. And has been harassing her and her family relentlessly about everything, even at times being physically violent (in which the cops were called). He also has difficult to control pets, and is basically intimidating her into living like this since the summer. She can't move places in the market currently, doesn't have the best credit, and has been stuck there with her kids for some time now just trying to deal with this and not knowing how to move forward.

Anyways, here's a copy of her lease with all personal info marked out, here's really hoping someone can offer her some advice. She is currently planning on meeting with someone, but frankly does not particularly have the money she needs to hire a lawyer.

Here's the lease in question, with personal details omitted. I had to change it to photos and throw it up on paint from word, due to possibly being marked as spam.

Even if you guys could send us over to a site or somewhere else where we can get the proper advice, it'd be seriously appreciated.
https://www.cobar.org/

Tell her to call the bar association and get several referrals for Attorney's that practice LL/Tenant law. They will likely give her a consult at a reduced price...IF they are seeing potential clients
Be aware that most, if not all, legal options will be delayed until the pandemic abates and the courts can open again. It is highly likely that her lease will be over before the virus is. If he behaves violently she should call 911 and follow up with a RO.

FarmerJ

the friend who agreed to let him move back in allowed him to establish a residency if your friend doesn't get him out via a restraining order then she may want to call building inspections and tell them that her landlord has moved into the basement and it is not a legal unit ( I imagine she is being forced to pay for utilities he is using) and ask inspections to write a order that he cannot use the basement as a living unit even if it is occupied by him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">