• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Girlfriend Is Being Cyberbullied By A Stalker Who Claims To Be A Hacker.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Neurotibot

Some creep in a chatroom has compromising photos of my girlfriend and has harassed her. He's even been spreading her photos in this chatroom and elsewhere online without her consent, which I assume is illegal. He's been seen doing this with other women and even underage girls. Whenever the chatroom administrators ban his IP, he returns under another one.

What legal action can I take?

Thank you.

Edit:

We have no idea who this guy is. Unfortunately, my girlfriend had explicit communications with him in the past. This is how he acquired the photos.

quincy

Some creep in a chatroom has compromising photos of my girlfriend and has harassed her. He's even been spreading her photos in this chatroom and elsewhere online without her consent, which I assume is illegal. He's been seen doing this with other women and even underage girls. Whenever the chatroom administrators ban his IP, he returns under another one.

What legal action can I take?

Thank you.

Edit:

We have no idea who this guy is. Unfortunately, my girlfriend had explicit communications with him in the past. This is how he acquired the photos.
What is the name of your state?

Your girlfriend sent the explicit photos to the guy?

Did your girlfriend take these photos herself?

Your girlfriend can report the explicit photos to the chat room's administrator and demand the photos be removed. If she took the photos herself she can file a DMCA takedown notice on the site claiming copyright infringement. And, if she has been harmed by the publication of the photos, she can consider filing a lawsuit against "John Doe" and have a court issue a subpoena to serve on the site for the guy's account information (his identity).

It will be your girlfriend who has the task of stopping the display and distribution of the photos. You can help her by contributing to the cost of an attorney.

Good luck.

Neurotibot

What is the name of your state?

Your girlfriend sent the explicit photos to the guy?

Did your girlfriend take these photos herself?

Your girlfriend can report the explicit photos to the chat room's administrator and demand the photos be removed. If she took the photos herself she can file a DMCA takedown notice on the site claiming copyright infringement. And, if she has been harmed by the publication of the photos, she can consider filing a lawsuit against "John Doe" and have a court issue a subpoena to serve on the site for the guy's account information (his identity).

It will be your girlfriend who has the task of stopping the display and distribution of the photos. You can help her by contributing to the cost of an attorney.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

The situation is bit complicated. We're in a long-distance relationship. I live in one state. She lives in another, and the creep claims to live outside the US. The photos have been distributed randomly to chatroom users via a private messaging system.

Basically, she was having a kind of cyber affair with him. When she decided to end it, he got vicious and began spreading her photos and threatened that he won't stop until she resumes their activities.

Last edited:

quincy

If he is out of the country, it gets complicated quickly.

Your girlfriend can try the first two suggestions and see if those can stop the spread of the photos.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">