• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My girlfriend was sent to rehab and is unable to contact me against her own will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bm6655

Hi, my girlfriend was sent off to rehab here in Arizona over three weeks ago by her family. They took her phone before she left and they are telling me that they nor the rehab will give her my contact info to let her contact me after she told me she would call me as soon as she could. I am not upset about this for the reason that I want to keep in touch with her personally. There are multiple situations with insurance and property fees she needs to be dealing with as they were put off long enough already, and I can't inform her or direct her to any of it. First off, she crashed my new Toyota 4runner that was owned by me this last may. There is a case that has been ongoing and my agents need to speak with her for statements as well as collecting hospital bills from her. Her hospital and transportation bills exceed $36,000. The state now holds a lien on the debts. Secondly, She is on the lease to my apartment with me. She caused a fire at our apartment a week before she was removed and needs to pay for at least some of the damages as she caused them. She is also due for half of the rent. Her family and this rehab are jeopardizing her ground in all of these situations by not allowing her to reach me and not letting me even forward paperwork to her. They are slandering my name as well and I have proof if it. I am very upset as this is unfair to my girlfriend and I. We are both in our twentys and deserve to be treated as adults and have our rights. From what I know she won't be out of the rehab until next year. What can I do here legally, I have plenty of money and resources to hire any legal backing I need to. My insurance has 100,000 dollars in medical coverage for her and she's bills need to be processed by her so that they don't take action here, the other person involved in the crash needs settlement as well and can't get it until she is engaged in this case. Her parents seem to not care here as they are letting their ignorance and hatred towards me put their daughter at risk here. Her parents are the source of her addiction, she showed me proof that her parents gave her percocet at age 16 and she has struggled ever since. I offer a new life being sober and travelling. After travelling a bit she had withdrawal and couldn't do it anymore. We had to come home and she relapsed over and over again. I have been sober ever since graduation of high school, having drank and smoked pot a few times then, but no addiction or harsh background. Her parents despise me as I know of their truths and they slander my name to therapists saying I caused her addiction and that I was beating her, she has testified against their claims before going to rehab. I don't know what to do here as they are invading her rights to call me and I don't want her hurt or putting her recovery at risk through this. Can I file a civil suit against her parents and the facility? Can I hold her accountable for the fire and pay some of the damages?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The answers here are the same as they are on the other forum you posted this question. If anyone would like the link, PM me - I won't post it in this thread.

Bm6655

The answers here are the same as they are on the other forum you posted this question. If anyone would like the link, PM me - I won't post it in this thread.
Oh gosh I'm sorry , I thought the post failed as the website froze on me when I was posting it and saw no email about it

quincy

Hi, my girlfriend was sent off to rehab here in Arizona over three weeks ago by her family. They took her phone before she left and they are telling me that they nor the rehab will give her my contact info to let her contact me after she told me she would call me as soon as she could. I am not upset about this for the reason that I want to keep in touch with her personally. There are multiple situations with insurance and property fees she needs to be dealing with as they were put off long enough already, and I can't inform her or direct her to any of it. First off, she crashed my new Toyota 4runner that was owned by me this last may. There is a case that has been ongoing and my agents need to speak with her for statements as well as collecting hospital bills from her. Her hospital and transportation bills exceed $36,000. The state now holds a lien on the debts. Secondly, She is on the lease to my apartment with me. She caused a fire at our apartment a week before she was removed and needs to pay for at least some of the damages as she caused them. She is also due for half of the rent. Her family and this rehab are jeopardizing her ground in all of these situations by not allowing her to reach me and not letting me even forward paperwork to her. They are slandering my name as well and I have proof if it. I am very upset as this is unfair to my girlfriend and I. We are both in our twentys and deserve to be treated as adults and have our rights. From what I know she won't be out of the rehab until next year. What can I do here legally, I have plenty of money and resources to hire any legal backing I need to. My insurance has 100,000 dollars in medical coverage for her and she's bills need to be processed by her so that they don't take action here, the other person involved in the crash needs settlement as well and can't get it until she is engaged in this case. Her parents seem to not care here as they are letting their ignorance and hatred towards me put their daughter at risk here. Her parents are the source of her addiction, she showed me proof that her parents gave her percocet at age 16 and she has struggled ever since. I offer a new life being sober and travelling. After travelling a bit she had withdrawal and couldn't do it anymore. We had to come home and she relapsed over and over again. I have been sober ever since graduation of high school, having drank and smoked pot a few times then, but no addiction or harsh background. Her parents despise me as I know of their truths and they slander my name to therapists saying I caused her addiction and that I was beating her, she has testified against their claims before going to rehab. I don't know what to do here as they are invading her rights to call me and I don't want her hurt or putting her recovery at risk through this. Can I file a civil suit against her parents and the facility? Can I hold her accountable for the fire and pay some of the damages?
Because you state you have money enough to afford a lawyer, hiring a lawyer now is probably the best course of action for you to take.

You appear to have a lot of legal issues that involve your girlfriend but because your girlfriend is in the early stages of her drug rehabilitation program, she is probably not going to be allowed outside contact. Computers and cell phones are often banned in treatment centers, for a variety of reasons that include the protection of privacy of others in treatment.

You will need to work with this knowledge.

The program might, as you were told, be a year-long program but contact with family and friends generally will be allowed long before that.

Speak to your attorney and have the attorney help you sort out what needs to be done when.

Bm6655

Because you state you have money enough to afford a lawyer, hiring a lawyer now is probably the best course of action for you to take.

You appear to have a lot of legal issues that involve your girlfriend but because your girlfriend is in the early stages of her drug rehabilitation program, she is probably not going to be allowed outside contact. Computers and cell phones are often banned in treatment centers, for a variety of reasons that include the protection of privacy of others in treatment.

You will need to work with this knowledge.

The program might, as you were told, be a year-long program but contact with family and friends generally will be allowed long before that.

Speak to your attorney and have the attorney help you sort out what needs to be done when.
Thank you Quincy. That is the best and most professional advice I've gotten out of many advisors. I will be contacting a lawyer first thing tomorrow. Thankfully today I managed to land a rental vehicle even though I'm under 25, so I will be free of public transport until I get a replacement vehicle.

quincy

Thank you Quincy. That is the best and most professional advice I've gotten out of many advisors. I will be contacting a lawyer first thing tomorrow. Thankfully today I managed to land a rental vehicle even though I'm under 25, so I will be free of public transport until I get a replacement vehicle.
When you are used to having your own car to drive you wherever and whenever you want, having to rely on public transportation can be quite an adjustment. I am happy you were able to rent a short term replacement for your Toyota.

I think you are smart to contact a lawyer. It can relieve a lot of stress to let someone else do the worrying about your legal problems for you.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">