• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband commited a hit and run in my vehicle, what do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MadamL

My husband commited a hit and run in front of Petsmart in Illinois. He bumped a bumper, a little damage on the other vehicle from his license plate, but nothing on our vehicle. The vehicle is in my name though and I'm worried they'll come after me! It's been a week since he did it and he just now told me! What do I do?

Just Blue

My husband commited a hit and run in front of Petsmart in Illinois. He bumped a bumper, a little damage on the other vehicle from his license plate, but nothing on our vehicle. The vehicle is in my name though and I'm worried they'll come after me! It's been a week since he did it and he just now told me! What do I do?
Contact your insurance agent and tell them your hubby had an accident. Super stupid of your husband to take off without leaving his contact info for the other driver. The accident was very likely caught on video and the police will find him easily enough. What he did was criminal.

LdiJ

Its probably wiser to do nothing at this point. You could get a consult with a local attorney, but they would likely advise you to do nothing at this point. You perhaps should stop allowing your husband to drive a car that is in your name.

quincy

Its probably wiser to do nothing at this point. You could get a consult with a local attorney, but they would likely advise you to do nothing at this point. You perhaps should stop allowing your husband to drive a car that is in your name.
No. It is wiser to contact the insurance company, as the conditions of the policy no doubt dictate that accidents must be reported.

LdiJ

No. It is wiser to contact the insurance company, as the conditions of the policy no doubt dictate that accidents are reported.
I do not agree Quincy. I do not think that the OP should contact her insurance company without talking to an attorney first. A hit and run is not a good situation and she absolutely should not admit that a hit and run happened to her insurance company without talking with an attorney first.

adjusterjack

From a standard auto insurance policy:

We have no duty to provide coverage under this policy if the failure to comply with the following duties is prejudicial to us:
A. We must be notified promptly of how, when and where the accident or loss happened. Notice should also include the names and addresses of any injured persons and of any witnesses.

We do not provide coverage for any "insured" who has made fraudulent statements or engaged in fraudulent conduct in connection with any accident or loss for which coverage is sought under this policy.
Attorney or no attorney, OP needs to notify the insurance company ASAP or risk losing the insurance and ending up in a high risk category at double or triple the rates if the company later finds out that she concealed the accident long enough for the insurance company's interests to be prejudiced.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Several years ago, I was in a strange "accident" (actually, I was intentionally backed in to from the front, then they left). I "notified" my insurance company with the understanding that I was only notifying them in order to comply with that exact clause in my policy and that I was not (at that time) filing a claim. They acknowledged the information and nothing else came of it.

thompsonmax

Hi there. Interesting question. I think that your husband should help you to deal with it because it was his fault. Also, I don't understand why he had been silent for a week? :confused:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">