• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband is an alcoholic. Beer for Breakfast. Vehicles are my separate property aquired before marriage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? California

I have researched and realize that if he drives and hurts someone I may be sued for my other spate property which is a home.
Today I started filling out Dissolution papers. I told him to buy his own truck...but then realized since we are still married I could still be sued because it was purchased after we were married so it would be community property. So then I thought of a possible loophole. Please let me know if this would work so I can protect myself.
I have 2 trucks that are separate property.
If I gift one truck to his family member then they gift it to him......that would be his separate property. Right? Then he would be liable and my house would not be in jeopardy?
Someone please help and advise.
Thank you.
the Responsible 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">