• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Info on Company tax document?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jhope7

I am located in New York — we are registering to sell product in California. It appears that my employer put me down as an officer on the document, and it requires my social, home address and license number. It doesn’t list me as a responsible party however it does list me as an officer. I wasn’t briefed about this before it came my way for filling out. Should I be weary? Do I provide this info? I’m not owner, shareholder, or anything and find it odd that I wasn’t asked before being put on this doc. My name and title is fine, but my social and Home address ??

Just Blue

I am located in New York — we are registering to sell product in California. It appears that my employer put me down as an officer on the document, and it requires my social, home address and license number. It doesn’t list me as a responsible party however it does list me as an officer. I wasn’t briefed about this before it came my way for filling out. Should I be weary? Do I provide this info? I’m not owner, shareholder, or anything and find it odd that I wasn’t asked before being put on this doc. My name and title is fine, but my social and Home address ??
Run this by a attorney before filling it out...this seem very off.

quincy

This has nothing to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice.

Before signing any document or providing personal information, you should have your own attorney review the facts and advise you accordingly.

quincy

"It appears that my employer put me down as an officer ... I wasn't briefed about this .."

I question the actions of the employer and recommend an attorney review.

Jhope7

This has nothing to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice.

Before signing any document or providing personal information, you should have your own attorney review the facts and advise you accordingly.
Sorry, none of the other categories under labor or employment seemed to fit this topic at all. Yes, I’m CAO but they’ve never advised that I would be put on a document. I do not have an attorney currently, which is why I was seeking some advice on this forum. Is there a better section to post this topic on here?

quincy

This forum category is fine. There is no need to move your thread now. :)

We cannot do document reviews on this forum so you will need to find an attorney licensed to practice in your own jurisdiction.

But I definitely would have this personal review before providing information to your employer. Although everything may be perfectly legitimate, there are questions raised by what you describe.

Good luck.

PayrollHRGuy

It isn't that unusual. As an officer of my employer I had to provide the same data to the Sec State of every state we are in as well as the various licensing agencies.

I've never seen one of them that put be financially on the hook with any of the states.

P.S. Q, see why I asked. :cool:

quincy

It isn't that unusual. As an officer of my employer I had to provide the same data to the Sec State of every state we are in as well as the various licensing agencies.

I've never seen one of them that put be financially on the hook with any of the states.

P.S. Q, see why I asked. :cool:
Yes. I see. :)

If Jhope has questions about the tax document he is being asked to supply information for, however, we cannot advise him on this forum. We cannot review the document.

Jhope will need to seek assistance in his area from a legal professional.

Dandy Don

Exactly what is your position or job title with this company and how long have you been there?

Find the website for the California Secretary of State and call someone in their office or write a letter to them to ask your question
and they can advise you.

If necessary, you or the Secretary of State can ask your employer to submit a corrected version of the document they have already submitted.

I'm almost certain they will tell you that your SSN has no place on the document and probably should have been left off.

quincy

Exactly what is your position or job title with this company and how long have you been there?

Find the website for the California Secretary of State and call someone in their office or write a letter to them to ask your question
and they can advise you.

If necessary, you or the Secretary of State can ask your employer to submit a corrected version of the document they have already submitted.

I'm almost certain they will tell you that your SSN has no place on the document and probably should have been left off.
I agree that the document more than likely should not have the social security number on it. I also question the address.

An attorney really should take a look at what this employer is up to.

PayrollHRGuy

I took a look at several of the forms at the CA Sec States site and none of them requested it BUT here is the list of things required to register with EDD.
  • Name and Social Security number - all responsible parties (Individual Owners, Co-Owners, General Partners).
  • Name and Social Security number - all officers, members, partners (Corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs).
  • Physical business address and mailing address.
  • Business phone number.
  • Valid email address (contact person and business).
  • Date of first payroll when wages exceed $100.
  • Nine-digit federal employer identification number (FEIN) - a FEIN can be obtained by going to the IRS website.
  • Industry Description - What is the crop, commodity, or activity that represents the greatest portion of your sales or revenue?
  • Previous EDD employer payroll tax account information, if applicable.
  • Business Name - as recorded with the California Secretary of State (SOS).
    • Provide the following information, access California Secretary of State to confirm information, as needed:
      • Exact Legal Business Name as spelled and registered with SOS (Corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs)
      • SOS ID Number
        • Corporation: Seven-digit California Corporation ID number
        • Limited Liability Company (LLC): 9- or 12-digit California Secretary of State (SOS) ID number
    • Doing Business As (DBA), if applicable.
  • Name, phone number, address (if different from business or mailing address) for business contact person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">