• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Insurance accepted fraudulent claims (Glendale, CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oOogirl9

I have an atypical question:

This New Year's Eve I rented a car and used my own insurance b/c the rental co. didn't offer any liability...

I brought the car back in the same condition. The owner went into the lot to examine a vehicle for a diff customer. When he came back 15 minutes later to finally 'help' me, lo and behold he indicates that I've made a fresh scratch. He pointed this damage out to me & my mom... said we'd work it out - meanwhile I was screaming that there was no way I made that scratch.

I was the one who reported it to my insurance b/c I knew this guy was full of crap ...He ended up claiming FOUR totally bogus damages. He also lied & said I refused to sign a paper indicating any new damage (my mom is a witness - he NEVER asked me to sign anything...he examined the car thoroughly and only pointed out ONE damage).

My insurance co. settled w/ the jerk. Interestingly, they never asked for my mom's statement...

Anyways, they accepted three of the four damages and they charged ME two deductibles.

This guy was obviously a blatant liar. According to officials @ City Hall, his questionable business practices over the years have been referred to the City Attorney - unfortunately, they can't nail him down because he keeps moving around.

I will probably concede to the one scratch he showed me & my mom b/c I can't prove I didn't make it.

I complained to the Dept of Insurance and am still waiting to hear back ... if their decision is unfavorable, should I just pay the guy or let him take me to Small Claims? I'm pretty sure I can damage his credibility (due to other things I won't discuss here) but - should I even bother fighting anymore when my insurance company said they had to accept his claims "in good faith"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">