• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My insurance company lost my payment - twice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joz

We have been buying rental properties in TN. When we purchased a recent one, last November, I called our insurance company to get insurance on it. I got the bill, in the mail, and payed it online with my bill pay. The next month, I get a notice that it's passed due. So, I called our agent and again, payed it over the phone. So, after two payments, I want one of them back in my account. After a few calls between agent and bank, I filed a claim with my bank, they researched it and credited me one of the amounts payed. A few months later, I get another past due notice for the same amount. Long story short, My bank researched for the second time, conformed both payment went through and supplied me with "trace numbers" to send to my insurance company that proves the payment was made "twice". I've also provide them with bank statements that show the two debits and one credit, (The claim). Now, the insurance company has sent it to collections. My credit score is between 740 and 830 and now I get this hit. Also, we have been actively researching a move to a different state, where we would need a mortgage and know that we would just squeak by in our current situation. We don't need a credit hit.
What can we do? Thanks

PayrollHRGuy

Take all the info you have and go talk to the agent. Get him to get the insurance company on the phone while you are there?

adjusterjack

payed it online with my bill pay.
And then what happened?

Any time I pay an insurance bill (or any other bill) online there immediately pops up a confirmation of payment with the policy number or account number. I take a screen shot of the confirmation and save it to my files.

Did that happen with you?

I'm not saying this is your fault, I'm just saying that there are simple record keeping precautions that could avoid this kind of thing in the future.

Joz

I have documents of every transaction with confirmation numbers and trace numbers. Two departments from my bank have researched, "card services" and "central processing". Both came up with the same result. All of this has been sent to the agent. The agent is out of state so I can only call him.
I just uploaded all my documents to the collection agencies website but still trying to gather more info (from you guys) before I call, again, my agent.
If my credit score is damaged, do I have recourse?
Thanks.

ShyCat

If you want to pay online, I recommend you do so through the insurance company's own website rather than your bank's bill pay site.

LdiJ

If you want to pay online, I recommend you do so through the insurance company's own website rather than your bank's bill pay site.
That won't make it less likely for the payment to get lost. I have never had a payment get lost doing it either way, but I have had more mistakes happen using a company's own website. Mostly double (one time triple) payments getting posted.

ShyCat

That won't make it less likely for the payment to get lost. I have never had a payment get lost doing it either way, but I have had more mistakes happen using a company's own website. Mostly double (one time triple) payments getting posted.
And I've had the exact opposite experience, no trouble with payments at a company's website, a repeated error from the bank's billpay system that threatened a utility being cutoff.

The one time I had a double payment, I recognized it as user error. I had thought the transaction hadn't gone through, and re-submitted it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">