• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My insurance company requested extra info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimsmith

What is the name of your state? California

Some time ago my health insurance company have sent me a questionary where it asks to provide information about another health insurances I and mu spouse may have and if I or my spouse have or had a long-term disability benefits.

Why it may want such information and am I obligated to give answers?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They want that information so that they can know whether or not there are any other polices with which they must coordinate their payments. They are legally entitled to that information and, while you cannot be forced to provide it, they have no legal obligation to make any payments until you do.

jimsmith

But why they are asking about the long-term disability? Can they use the fact that my spouse does have it (actually at very end of it) to drop him from the coverage?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are we talking about an employer sponsored group health insurance plan?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When it comes to employer sponsored health insurance benefits, the insurance carrier does not have the option and cannot legally drop a member from the plan. ONLY the employee has the absolute option of doing so; even the employer can only do so with the knowledge and permission of the employee. Once you elect health insurance, as long as the plan exists (the employer can cancel the overall plan without your permission) ONLY YOU can drop the insurance or drop a dependent from the plan.

So it doesn't matter why they are asking. There's an overwhelming likelihood that it is for the reason I already provided. But it is NOT so that they can drop the member or dependent from the coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">