• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My landlord isnt completing repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rilee222

I'm in North Carolina and I live in an apartment complex. We had some leaks when we moved in in august, had maintenance come twice with no effect on the leaks. Then we had a severe hurricane and have since gotten more leaks and pretty bad water damage. Multiple large spots on the ceiling and walls. When we brought this to them, they said that the interiors of the roofs would not be repairs until every units outer roof was repaired. The outer roof repairs started last week. It may still be weeks or months before our unit is done. Even then, the water damage seems so severe I worry they would just paint over it and call it done, else they would have to redo the whole ceiling. Two of the water damaged spots have a green tint. My girlfriend has pretty bad asthma and I worry about the effect of mold on her health. Is it legal that we have such bad damages that could be health risks that are going unfixed? How long are they allowed to take to fix these problems? If that's not legal, what path do we take to get this done? Thanks

adjusterjack

Give me a break. Nothing is going "unfixed." It's being fixed according to schedule. First the roof, then the interior. It would be ridiculous to expect otherwise. Nothing illegal is happening.

If you are concerned about the green patches, go to Home Depot and buy some mold spray and a can of Kill-Z.

A little self-help won't kill you.

FarmerJ

Allow the LL to get the roof repairs made and if the LL doesn't contact you with in a week or two of completed roof repairs then call your city building inspections desk. IF nothing at all is done to the roof or inside of the apartment with in a reasonable time now that your winter season is over with then call inspections about both issues. Keep all communications with this LL to written letters on real paper sent via confirmed mail delivery or certificate of mailing, Keep a copy of the letter stapled to your postal receipt as if some day you were to have to prove to a judge you did communicate in writing to them.

Rilee222

Give me a break. Nothing is going "unfixed." It's being fixed according to schedule. First the roof, then the interior. It would be ridiculous to expect otherwise. Nothing illegal is happening.

If you are concerned about the green patches, go to Home Depot and buy some mold spray and a can of Kill-Z.

A little self-help won't kill you.
Well the schedule wasnt started on until April, for damages occurring in August. This is my first apartment. I dont know what the precedent is here and I just see a possible health hazard and problems that will have lasted a year by the time they're fixed most likely. I dont think your tone was really necessary, trust me I've been quite patient for the first 7.5 months. I appreciate your response and I'll probably visit my local hardware store, and I wont call maintenence again unless something else happens. Thanks again for responding quickly

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">