• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my lawyer passed away...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nailtech

What is the name of your state? Texas

I bartered out with my lawyer for a will (150.00), paid in full on my part, it took her over a year and a half to give me a rough draft... I have had it for two months now to correct….. she suddenly passed away this past Sunday at the age of 42… now I have the rough draft of a will with her heading on it, that is not finished and paid for, but with no receipt.

What do I do now?
how do local lawyers (small town) usually work matters of this nature???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nailtech said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I bartered out with my lawyer for a will (150.00), paid in full on my part, it took her over a year and a half to give me a rough draft... I have had it for two months now to correct….. she suddenly passed away this past Sunday at the age of 42… now I have the rough draft of a will with her heading on it, that is not finished and paid for, but with no receipt.

What do I do now?
how do local lawyers (small town) usually work matters of this nature???

My response:

Without proof of a Barter contract, I don't see how you can prove the deal. Did you have anything in writing at all concerning the deal?

IAAL

nailtech

no....

nothing but the rough draft with her heading on it... other than that, no receipt... her mother should know.. she helped me with the draft and details... but thats 'her' mother..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nailtech said:
nothing but the rough draft with her heading on it... other than that, no receipt... her mother should know.. she helped me with the draft and details... but thats 'her' mother..

My response:

Next time you'll know to put your agreements in writing. And, you know something? You've been on these forums long enough to know better, too!

Chalk this one up to, well, "dumbness".

IAAL

nailtech

You’re being nice, it's more like dumb@$$... thanks for the heads up, that’s what I needed to know... I have a useless piece of paper(s)... I was just wondering if the other local small town lawyers would take up her cases and finish her undone business... probably not ha?? Just wasn’t sure of the legal ethics of lawyers...

she was my lawyer, a client, and a friend, just ashamed she had to go at such a young age due to "she quit breathing while having a seizure"... she left behind two young children ages 9 and 11 and a devoted husband... her funeral is this Friday @10am...

Yes I have been on here for some time.. She and I spoke of my legal knowledge I just always said I love reading legal forums and that I have learned from the best.. Which I always thought of YOU guys. she was always amazed at my knowledge of law…. Thanks to you and this forum.......

Last edited:

Dandy Don

If she worked in a firm in partnership with other attorneys, then ask one of the other attorneys if they can assist you with this. Is anyone in her office taking calls? Leave a message with her secretary asking if it is possible to get a partial refund since you were not given an original will that you could use in probate court. Sorry that it worked out this way, but you now need to go to another attorney to get their assistance in getting you a will.

Your primary mistake was in waiting so long (over a year and a half!!!) to get a completed document. You should have been on her case within 30 days if she hadn't finished it by then.

nailtech

she was alone in her business... I will ask one of the other attorneys in town to see if they will finish it for me... Thanks...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">