• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my liability for nephew's actions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tspatrick

We live in Indiana. My nephew lives with my wife and me. He is 18 years old. He has graduated from high school and has just started college. He drives a car registered to my wife and me and is on our insurance. I am worried about how much liability we are exposed to if he does something stupid like dui or gets in an accident that results in injuries.

Thanks for your help. :confused:

FarmerJ

Is this auto one you can afford to sell to him since he is legally a adult with insurance in his own name ? Or would it be best for him to give up the car and use bus /bike/walk if he cannot pay the Insurance himself and you still let him use the car maybe you need to have your ins increased on it and set up some rules like one ticket for anything at all and your gonna take the car ?

stephenk

get the highest liability coverage you can especially if you have assets like a house. at minimum 100K in coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">