• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My LL refuses to fix my leaking ceiling!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

partyofsix26

Last year I moved into a 2 family house my LL lives downstairs. When I entered the apartment for the first time, the toliet was broken, carptet was shreded, the kitchen was vandalized,the hallway banister legs were all broken and on the floor, the ceiling in the hallway was molded, the skylight also in the hallway had paint chips falling down and I was told that the previous tenant did most of the damages before she left.
The LL told me and my husband that the apt. will be repaired in 2 weeks, that if we were interested we can move in that time. My husband and I believed him, but by the two weeks the only repairs he can done was the bathroom, did a quick job on the ceiling and the hallway banisters legs were laying on the floor. I told him that we were not able to move in unless all the repairs were done.
The LL told me that he will fix it after we moved in, my husband and I need a place so we agreed.
One year later, the banister is still broken, the skylight ing the hallway is not fixed and the ceiling is leaking and to top that he never painted the place.
Can I withhold rent so I can get my banister fixed, I have a 2 year old daughter and she almost fell down the stairs because of that.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

D

djdj

I would get a couple of dispoasble cameras and take lots of pictures,MAKE AN EXTRA SET OR TWO...To show a judge and give a set to the landlord stating you will not be responsible for the damage that was here when you entered the apartment, on such and such a date.

And to remind the landlord that you have a two year old, and he should have good insurance coverage just incase she falls down the stairs from a broken bannister.

BUT______I suspect you have NO lease so be prepared to get an eviction notice and then show the judge the pictures.

You can safely withold the rent if you have a lease, by putting the money in escrow, and suing the landlord for the lack of a habitable apartment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">